PDA

View Full Version : Hosing Down LR to Get Rid of Red Planaria?

hops523
07/05/2010, 06:06 PM
In a few months Ill be switching my reef to a large fowlr tank. I have a flatworm problem right now and havent had much luck with my yellow coris wrasse eating them. I figure when I switch the live rock to the new tank I can do something about it. Would it be a good idea to pretty much just hose down the live rock to get rid of the flatworms? Or maybe something else to get rid of them while Im moving the live rock to a new tank?
Thanks

Agu
07/05/2010, 06:16 PM
Any flatworms exposed to fresh water are killed instantly. Problem is the flatworms deep in the rock can survive. If you soak it you'll kill off more than just the flatworms.

If it was my tank I'd give the rock a ten minute soak in freshwater and then recure it with some new (uninfected) live rock before adding fish.

Zebodog
07/05/2010, 06:33 PM
Flatworm eXit.

hops523
07/05/2010, 06:45 PM
Yea I was afraid of the freshwater killing everything else on the rock. If I soaked the rock for 10 minutes and then reccured it before I added fish, would it cure quicker than usual since it's already cured and established and only going through a 10 min frehwater dip?

I am honestly a little nervous to used FWE, I've read fish have died because of it.

Zebodog
07/05/2010, 07:19 PM
The fish haven't died because of the flatworm eXit - they've died due to large amounts of toxins being released by large quantities of dieing flatworms; easily overcome by syphoning out as many of the little critters as possible before, during and after treatment as well as running a large amount of carbon in a canister after

Since you're transferring the rock anyway, why not set up a couple of 5 gallon buckets to treat the rock in prior to placement in the new tank?