PDA

View Full Version : Low Magnesium in Tropic Marin

Al
07/05/2010, 09:51 PM
The last couple of days I have been using a new 200 gallon bucket of Tropic Marin. In the first batch I made, the Magnesium was at 880. Thinking that maybe the salt had separated out while being shipped, I mixed it thoroughly, and with the next batch the Magnesium was at 950. Better, but still not good. Is it worthwhile to add Magnesium Chloride to bring it up to something reasonable, or should I just throw it out and try a different brand? I'm considering throwing it out because if the Mg is that far off, maybe something else is as well.

Other parameters seem to be ok, Calcium is at 375, alkalinity at 3.2 (meq/l). Salt had formed large solid clumps, but these broke up easily. The dissolved salt cleared up quickly in mixing, and doesn't seem to be any residue.

Percula9
07/05/2010, 10:35 PM
Try a different salt. Low mag will prevent you from maintaining a higher Calcium. A calcium of 375ppm is a little on the low side.

Paulca916
07/05/2010, 11:16 PM
I wouldnt throw it out but what I do is bump up the mag and calcium to my levels I keep in my tank CaL 450/Mag 1400 & Alk 10 DKH I have found with all salt mixes you have to bring up the levels.
I have found that Reef Crystals gives me the best levels and most consistant.
I have not tried Salinity yet but its new and Im not ready make my reef a test dummy.
There are mixxed results from people I know who are using it.
Tropic Marine is fine just bump it up after you use the whole tub then maybe use something different.
I tested
Seachem Marine
Seachem reef and Reef crystals
I perfer Reef Crystals

Carbone
07/06/2010, 02:26 AM
maybe you are using normal Tropic Marin, the equivalent of Instant Ocean. If you want high Mg and Ca, then Tropic Marin ProReef is for you (equivalent of Reef Crystals)

gablett
07/06/2010, 06:10 AM
I also use tropic marin and my mag is always low. I just dose BRS 2 part and have no trouble keeping it up once its up with 6.4ml per day.

bertoni
07/06/2010, 04:46 PM
This thread has some data on salt mixes:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505

Tropic Marin should be at about 1230 ppm if the SG is 1.0264. The other parameters you mentioned seem about right. I'd get a second opinion on the magnesium kit before doing much, but you might have gotten a bad batch. I'd be tempted to pitch it, for the reason you state: who knows what all is wrong.

Al
07/06/2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Jonathan

I'm in contact with a rep from Tropic Marin. He said he will check the batch number. In the meantime I'll look for a new test kit. Any opinions on the Tunze salt? It seems to come closest of all the salts to the NSW big three parameters.

sue711
07/07/2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks, Jonathan

I'm in contact with a rep from Tropic Marin. He said he will check the batch number. In the meantime I'll look for a new test kit. Any opinions on the Tunze salt? It seems to come closest of all the salts to the NSW big three parameters.

... and that is the last time you will here back from him. I went through a similar thing with a bad batch of TMPR and gave him all my info and batch number etc. He said he would get back with me after he checked with the office in Germany about my batch and if they had similar readings. Nice that we can help with their quality control issues on our dollar isn't it?! :mad:

As for Tunze, I think that their salt was discontinued.

Al
07/07/2010, 06:39 AM
Sue, thanks for the advice.

Speaking of not hearing from company reps, I have yet to hear from Sunlight Supply (Tek T-5 light fixtures) regarding my finding out last week that the hardware used on their tank brackets is made of brass.

Looks like I may have to change my buying habits.

As to the Tunze salt, Premium Aquatics still lists it, but it doesn't seem to available anywhere else.

Allmost
07/07/2010, 10:12 AM
hmmm ! really disappointing CS !

TMRP seems to be the best salt mix for my system. in the last 4 buckets I have used, the values have always been consistant ! and never clumped salts !

are u sure it was sealed when you got it ?

if I leave my salt out of bucket for a couple days, it will obsorb the humidity in the room and become cement like clumps. now I am not 100% sure on this, but I'm guessing this Humidity must have SOME effects on the salt itself no ? the carbonate (sodium carbonate) will for sure absorb somestuff out of air (as arms and hammer do in fridge, but not sure why MG was effected. )

bertoni
07/07/2010, 01:33 PM
The humidity and exposure to air might encourage the calcium and carbonate to combine to form limestone. Some of the magnesium might do the same. Other reactions are possible, mostly involving the trace elements.

Al
07/08/2010, 03:20 PM
are u sure it was sealed when you got it ?

Well, actually when I opened the bucket the tie on the plastic bag was a little loose and there were hard blocks of salt in the bag. It hadn't got to the concrete stage though - the blocks easily broke up and dissolved completely, and there was no precipitate.
I checked my test kit by buying a small box of TM locally and the Magnesium was fine, about 1100.
The service rep at Drs Foster and Smith kindly offered to replace the salt.

bertoni
07/08/2010, 04:34 PM
It's nice to hear about good customer service. :)