PDA

View Full Version : how much water flow?

xdannyxrocksx
07/05/2010, 10:00 PM
I have a 40 breeder, i am searching for koralia pumps, i know where to get them but the main question here is what should i go with? I want a decent amount of flow without creating a hurrican in my tank. I am thinking 2 koralia nanos, would that be good or shouldi bump it up to 2 koralia ones? what do you guys think. as far as what i have in there i have a tomato clown, a lawn blenny, zoas, sun coral, candycane, ricordias and a piece of trachy. Thanks in advance.

nvdiz
07/05/2010, 10:10 PM
well it looks like you're gonna be keeping LPS and softies, and if thats the case I would go with 2 K2s. I had a K1 in my nano thats probably half the vol. as yours and I didnt think that was enough flow for even LPS.

cpl40475
07/06/2010, 12:40 AM
I'll 2nd the K2s maybe 2 K3's I've seen 40s with WAY more flow than that. You can alway place one on each side of the tank one near the front and one near the back and letting them cross flow each other in a X pattern that should create some decent and random flow in the thank.

snowman5373
07/06/2010, 07:59 AM
It depends on how much rock work you are going to have. I have about 80lbs of live rock in my 40B. I have 2 K2's and that seems perfect to me.

chimmike
07/06/2010, 08:13 AM
I'd say a K2 and a K3, so they're not fighting eachother creating an eddy at the center.

this way you have kinda variable flow from one side to the other. (I have a 40b in my car right now which will be my sump. Great size tank!)

lostanime
07/06/2010, 11:15 AM
Keep in mind Hydor just put out a new line of Koralias (Evolution), that are able to play nicely with timers/"wavemakers"/etc.

If I was on the market for a new pump in that pricerange, I would look into their new pumps instead of the standard line they are phasing out/discontinuing... better flow with less electrical consumption, etc.

stevejrnc
07/06/2010, 11:20 AM
i would go with a 1 & 2 then see what you think if you need more or less you could trade up or down

xdannyxrocksx
07/07/2010, 12:55 AM
all great advice i might go for a 1 and 2 then go from there. I could allwasy keep the not used equipment for later projects. And i saw the new koralias our store is supposed to be gettin an order of those soon.