PDA

View Full Version : Is it Ok to keep multiple groups of different species of wrasses

jlinzmaier
07/06/2010, 09:49 AM
Hello.

I have a 420 gallon DT that I'm going to be stocking with fish over the next year or so. I've found several types of wrasses that I'd like to keep. For certain I'll be keeping a male Rhomboid with two female rhomboids and I'd also like to have a group of one male and two females of Lineatus fairy wrasses.

In addition I'd also like to add a hoevens wrasse (single) and a leopard wrasse (after the tank has matured for a while).

Anyone see any major trouble with having these muliple species (and groups) of wrasses together in one 420 gallon tank??

Thanks.

Jeremy

Dante_JoseCuerv
07/06/2010, 10:22 AM
I think you should be fine with that selection in your DT. The hoeven's MIGHT show some aggression when it gets large but I don't forsee too many problems in a tank that size.

snorvich
07/06/2010, 01:52 PM
Hello.

I've found several types of wrasses that I'd like to keep. For certain I'll be keeping a male Rhomboid with two female rhomboids and I'd also like to have a group of one male and two females of Lineatus fairy wrasses.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Jeremy, these work fine together. Introduce the Rhomboids first.

jjk_reef00
07/06/2010, 02:07 PM
Your tank is really big as well I don't see any problems.

snorvich
07/06/2010, 02:38 PM
Ooops, I forgot. You will need a covered tank for either of those fairy wrasse species. They can get through egg crate.

29reef
07/06/2010, 08:11 PM
Yes they can be kept together bradleyj has a large number of wrasses of several species males and females. As mentioned a 1/4" screen cover is needed.

jlinzmaier
07/07/2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks everyone. Very much appreciate the feedback!!

What sort of screens are people using so that it doesn't block too much light but still keeps the fish in?? I would think egg crate could even block a considerable amount of light. I do have 4 inches of eurobracing all the way around the perimeter and that will help, but I know that won't stop all leaps of death.

Why do they jump in the first place??? Is it if they get startled or is it just something they do??

Jeremy

anbosu
07/07/2010, 08:47 AM
Use bird netting, it doesn't block too much light supposedly.

jlinzmaier
07/07/2010, 02:14 PM
Use bird netting, it doesn't block too much light supposedly.

Very clever. I'll have to see where I can get some and what it's made of. My 400 watt halides would actually begin to melt/char the frag rack after a while and Im guessing the bird netting is pretty light and thin.

I wonder if I used something like chicken fence if that would work. It would have a much larger opening than frag rack but what are the chances that a wrasse would be accurate enough to jump out exactly through an opening and then flop around enough so that it didn't easily fall right back in. Obviously corrosion and contamination would be of concern when using any wire, but being careful and occasional monitoring of the the wire would make it safe IMO.

Jeremy