PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stand for flush in-wall tank? Easy question...

jefathome
07/06/2010, 10:53 AM
This should be a pretty quick question...

I'm building an in-wall tank and I want the front glass to be flush with the wall. The problem is that the wall is made of drywall (duh) which offers no support.

If I use a piece of 1/2in plywood on top of the stand, can the plywood sit off the edge of the stand by maybe 3/4 in? What if I used 3/4in ply?
In both cases I'd also have a piece of 1/2in foam between the ply and the tank for support/weight distribution.

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.... Please note that the plywood "top" would be sedured to both the stand supports and the 2x4 wall supports/studs via the bottom "header".

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo61/jefathome/Standbuild.jpg

der_wille_zur_macht
07/06/2010, 11:10 AM
What size/dimensions/material for the tank?

jefathome
07/06/2010, 11:30 AM
Tank is a CadLights custom...

48x24x30in tall, made with 1/2in glass. Euro-braced top.

jefathome
07/06/2010, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking that with 3/4in plywood, I should be safe. I mean how much can 3/4in ply deflect over a 3/4in span?

And look at these new Fluval tanks... they have a whole lof of "edge" that isn't supported.
http://www.hagen.com/img/aquatic/addinfo/fluval_edge/360.jpg

der_wille_zur_macht
07/06/2010, 12:09 PM
And look at these new Fluval tanks... they have a whole lof of "edge" that isn't supported.
http://www.hagen.com/img/aquatic/addinfo/fluval_edge/360.jpg

Yes, but they were designed that way, while the typical aquarium wasn't.

I don't think you'd have a problem with 3/4" ply sticking out the thickness of your drywall. It should only be 1/2" overhang, at any rate, unless there's something fishy going on with your wall.

How are you going to finish the exposed edge of the plywood under the tank?

jefathome
07/06/2010, 12:35 PM
Oh, the drywall is only 1/2in thick? I was thinking it was 3/4in. But to your question, No... there is nothing funny going on with the wall. The header and "footer" (the bottom header?) are both flush against the drywall, so the only overhand will be 1/2in to 3/4in depending on the thickness.

I'll use some standard 1.5in window moulding/trim to cover up 1 inch on each side and as much as possible on the bottom... If I have to, I can use 2in moulding though.

jh2pizza
07/06/2010, 12:47 PM
I used 1x5 oak trim boards and back cut mine 1/2" all but the last 1/2". This allows the trim boards to sit flush on the wall, flush on the tank while allowing the tank to sit on the solid part of the stand. This also allowed the trim boards to sit flush on the glass covering up the annoying looking plastic trim on the tanks.

jefathome
07/07/2010, 10:36 AM
Hmm... that's an idea. I was also thinking that I could use a piece of 1/4-round to bring the trim up to "flush" with the wall, then more trim on the drywall.

travismcgee
07/07/2010, 04:18 PM
got any photos? i am getting ready to do the same thing. thanks

mchammer
07/07/2010, 04:19 PM
I used the same method as jh2pizza for my in wall tank. My goal was to cover up the tank frame on top and bottom. This way all you see is stright glass with some trim around it.