PDA

View Full Version : good, general, reef keeping books

Allmost
07/06/2010, 10:59 AM
hello all,
so I will be on the train for a long time this weekend and need to pick up some reef books lol

any recommendations ?

cloak
07/06/2010, 11:03 AM
Reef Invertebrates by Anthony Calfo & Robert Fenner is a good one. Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson is another.

Allmost
07/06/2010, 11:28 AM
yea seen those, but looking for a general reef keeping book with recent info, not a book about clownfishes.

seems like all the books out there are really specific all :S
I'm tired of reading the internet haha

Steve Bitter
07/06/2010, 12:34 PM
The Reef Invertebrates book has a somewhat misleading title. It actually has a pretty broad perspective, and a good portion of the book is dedicated to overall reef husbandry and ecology. Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman is similar in this regard, with a lot of good "general" reef tank information. Both of those books are full of good specific information too, of course. These two books are probably the two whose spines I've worn out the most over the years.

If you want something that will really keep you busy on a long ride, check out The Reef Aquarium by Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek. I'm embarrassed to admit I only own volume 3, but that's the most current and full of intense detail. It's more like a textbook than most other books out there, and it's very current.

Enjoy the train. :)

Allmost
07/06/2010, 12:48 PM
thank you :)

they are right about saying "no to judging a book by its cover" :) read the description for Reef Invertebrates and seems interesting :)

BrokeColoReefer
07/06/2010, 01:43 PM
Most anything by Sprung is good.

http://www.allbookstores.com/book/9781883693145/The_Reef_Aquarium_Science_Art_and_Technology.html