PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing, plz help me get this tank up & running

Leviathan_XE
07/06/2010, 12:06 PM
Ok so I score a used 72 gallon bow to upgrade my 46. The tank is an old AGA(I think) with the overflow in the left rear corner and a 30 gallon sump. I've sanded, painted, and everything else to get this thing up & running. When I was doing my water test I noticed that the bulkheads were leaking. They're barbed on the end (someone who knows more than me please clarify this) and I have them attached to my pvc with tubing. They're slip on the top, so I can just slide my durso in & out. But after reading more about this issue I decided that I should just replace them, but with what kind? I'm totally new to this whole pvc plumbing thing. And depending on what I do I know I may have to change my plumbing layout. Arrggghhh, I've been working on this for months & I just want to get some water in this thing! Any guidance would be helpful.

BrokeColoReefer
07/06/2010, 01:30 PM
can you post some photos?

BigOldReef
07/06/2010, 02:51 PM
The first thing I would do is use a pair of channel locks and gently tighten the bulkhead fittings.

The next question is where is the leak coming from... Is it coming from the bulkhead, or from the barb ?

Most bulkheads are either slip or thread. So your barb, is a plumbing piece which is inserted into the bulkhead. Depending on whether it was slipped or threaded could also be the source of the leak.

You may be able to solve this problem quickly by tightening the bulkhead and rethreading the bards with some teflon tape. But without photos these are just guesses.

Dave