PDA

View Full Version : Canon - EOS Digital Rebel T1i 15.1-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera

serenity
07/06/2010, 12:45 PM
I bought a Nikon D3000 only to find out I have to use AF-S lens and I really don't want to have to spend almost double per lens. I was thinking about going to a D200/D300 but found this T1i for a great deal, has anyone used this or know anything about them.. Can you use any lens with this camera or do I have to use a special lens? From reading, I believe it has a built in motor.

Thanks for your opinions, etc.

Recty
07/06/2010, 01:09 PM
T1i will autofocus with any lens Canon makes. The lens has the motor, the camera body does not, it just provides the electrical current to actuate the motor.

T1i is a good camera, my brother has one and definitely he enjoys it plus it takes great pictures.

Canon has lenses that will ONLY work on full frame cameras. Fortunately, the T1i is not full frame (it's called APS-C I believe) which means all Canon lenses will work with it.

If you found a good deal on one I would definitely recommend it, especially if you dont need "pro" features. My brother is simply a serious enthusiast but doesnt sell photos for money (mainly pictures of his two sons or some wildlife outside) and the T1i does a great job.

serenity
07/07/2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the info. I pick it up tonight after work :)

Recty
07/07/2010, 11:35 AM
Well, I'd read around some reviews and stuff on it, dpreview.com is a good website, dont just take my word for it :)

jbanks
07/07/2010, 02:32 PM
The T2i is the newest Rebel in the lineup. You may want to check that out as well. It has some really awesome features for the price..

serenity
07/08/2010, 06:37 AM
I picked up the T1i last night, I looked at the T2i but for the price difference I couldn't pass up the T1i, I am going to order a nice 50mm 1.4 today for portrait photos, a 60mm macro 2.8, and a grip w/extra battery.

Recty
07/08/2010, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure why you're purchasing the 60mm instead of the 100mm, I'd really try to justify the extra expense of the 100mm, it's much more useful than the 60.

If it's just $$$ you're concerned with, you can easily save a couple hundred $$$ by getting the 50mm f/1.8 (still a good lens) instead of the f/1.4 and go for the 100mm macro.

Just my opinion, of course :)

IPT
07/08/2010, 12:50 PM
yes, you could do what Recty said...though, the crop sensors have a tendancy to reduce the DOF (per my understanding) vs the FF cameras. So for portraits you might really want the wider aperature to preserve some of the isolation of the subject. You would need a 31mm, F0.9 lens to get the same DOF you would with the 50mm F1.4 - there is no such (affordable) lens though. All depends on your goals and the specifics of what you're looking for.

I would agree that the 100mm macro is more useful, but if the is a 1.6 crop factor body (and I think it is) then the 60mm effectively becomes a 96mm anyway :). Of course you could have an effective 160mm if you got the 100mm. Again, it depends on your use and goals.