PDA

View Full Version : Amphipods, copepods, six line wrasse, and clownfish...

luconi
07/06/2010, 02:07 PM
There appears to be many copepods and a good amount of amphipods in my tank. I want to get a six line wrasse to eat these, but my clownfish can sometimes seem to be a little "agressive"--at least to a point. It did not accept and might have even killed another clownfish I tried to add to the tank, and I don't want the 6 line wrasse to get attacked. Should they be compatible? My clownfish was pretty much fine with a coral beauty I had. Also, it seems as though some of the zoas/palys on one smallish colony closed up and eventually, after a while of remaining closed, died. Could the amphipods or copepods be to blame? Could it be my sally lightfoot? Or could it have been my arrow crab which I think killed my coral beauty? Thanks in advance for help! :)

sue711
07/06/2010, 02:40 PM
I had a Sixline with my paired clownfish, and all was hunky dory for about 6 months, then the clownfish picked on my sixline so badly that I had to give him away. It was so weird because they all got along so well in the beginning, but the clownfish are so territorial in my small tank (20 gallon long), they pretty much own the tank. How big is your tank?

Allmost
07/06/2010, 02:44 PM
I doubt crab being able to kill Coral beauty in our tanks how big is the tank ?

I had some crabs which ate small fish, like anthias, not angel fish though.

Zoas, u have the zoa eating snail, it has a piramide look to it.

how large is the tank ?

I have 2 clowns not paired yet, and 1 6 line with buncha other fishes in my 65G

Levito
07/06/2010, 02:51 PM
How big is the tank?
Unless it's really small, I can't imagine a 6 line not being able to hold it's own against a clown. Usually the 6 lines are the more aggressive fish.

noahm
07/06/2010, 03:32 PM
zoas just close up sometimes for unknown reasons. As long as it is isolated cases, I wouldn't stress too much. It is not the pods. Stop feeding your clown and it will start eating the pods. Personally, I like lots of pods as they are just eating stuff further down the foodchain. Try a blenny. It will hold its own against anything, and pretty much eat anything willing to go in its mouth.

luconi
07/06/2010, 05:58 PM
Well my tank is a 29g biocube, and I'm pretty sure I don't have the sundial snail (zoa eating snails).. I recently saw an amphipod on the smallish frag/colony thing of zoas I have, and it caused one to close up slightly. I've read somewhere I think that large amphipods can be dangerous to zoas. Is there any evidence backing this or not?

noahm
07/06/2010, 07:26 PM
Yes, things walking on zoas can cause them to close. Hermits, snails etc. As far as harm though, not really.

luconi
07/07/2010, 06:12 AM
Ok thanks. Would you happen to be able to give me any reasons some of the zoas/palys on the colony thing in my tank would close up for days and eventually die for what seemed to me to be no apparent reason, though something could have attacked them maybe?

kv2wr1
07/07/2010, 08:46 AM
I have a pair of black & white occelaris clowns and a six line in my 24G aquapod (moving to a 40 Breeder very soon) and they all get along just fine. If the clowns pester him too much he'll snap at their faces with his dorsal fin up. The clowns back off really quick. All 3 fish are healthy and eating like pigs.

Snookster
07/07/2010, 10:32 AM
I added a sixline to my tank (75) after my ocellarus had been in there for months. They get along fine - the 6 line doesn't sit stilll long enough to annoy anyone anyway. The sixline thinned out my pod population in short order.

luconi
07/08/2010, 08:27 PM
Hmm.. Thanks.. I've heard of them being able to be aggressive, but it seems like they are generally fine. Any other people's comments with 6 line wrasses would be appreciated! Thanks!