PDA

View Full Version : good place to buy seeding LR and sand

shifty51008
07/06/2010, 03:05 PM
I am finally setting up my tank after a 2 year break and all of my LR has been dried out. so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to order about 10lbs of good coraline covered rock and a few cups of live sand (with all the good critters) to seed the sand I have. but I also don't want to spend a fortune on shipping. otherwise I would order from TBS but from the looks of their site they charge 110$ just to ship a little bit.

Thanks

museumguy
07/06/2010, 03:15 PM
A lot of local stores will just give you some live sand to seed your tank with and either give you or sell you pretty cheap some rubble to seed things. Some amazing critters can be found in the depths of most store's live rock bins. I'd start there.

shifty51008
07/06/2010, 03:27 PM
i wish it was that easy, however the only fish stores around me either don't sell SW and the one that does have aptasia all over their rocks and I prefer not to chance that rock.

Levito
07/06/2010, 03:53 PM
Where do you live?
You could check craigslist or a local reefer forum to find other people selling live rock. You'll find much better deals from local reefers and may be able to get it for $2/lb

museumguy
07/06/2010, 04:03 PM
Garf.org sells "Garf Grunge" that sounds similar to what you are looking for. Some people swear by it, some people swear at it saying it is snake oil but its pretty much what you are looking for. Might be a place to check out. Good luck.

shifty51008
07/06/2010, 04:20 PM
thanks, I have heard of the garf grunge before but isn't that just a sand mud stuff?

I live by sioux city iowa, and not alot of sw ppl around here, i have checked craigslist lots of times but nothing as of yet.

zachfishman
07/06/2010, 05:54 PM
I suggest finding some local hobbyists to rock swap with. Maybe offer them a couple bucks for the trouble/inconvenience. Also, a small handful of sand from a variety of nearby hobbyists' aquaria is a great way to diversify your sand bed.