PDA

View Full Version : Osmolator Wont Stop Pump

TreyK
07/06/2010, 03:18 PM
Let me say first that it has been running flawlessly until now. I unplugged the unit to do a water change and added a little more water than normal (the optical sensor is submerged), the problem is when I turned it back on it says that the water is level, yet the pump stays on and keeps adding water.

rvitko
07/06/2010, 03:34 PM
Are you sure the pump is on, you can hear it running? I ask because it may also be siphoning if your reservoir water level is higher than the end point of the hose. The only other thing I know can cause this is a magnetic field near the controller closing the relay for the pump to come on. If some equipment was moved so the controller is near a ballast, big pump, magnet cleaner/holder, this could also cause it.

kenargo
07/06/2010, 04:48 PM
One issue that caused similar issue with me; clean the sensor; soak in vinegar and wipe gently; you don't want to scratch it.

rvitko
07/06/2010, 04:58 PM
It is worth a try but the osmolator is designed to fail in the off position in just about every situation, including a dirty sensor, so it is rare that it would run without stopping.

Dyraxe
07/12/2010, 07:38 PM
Lots of micro bubbles in the tank from a new hob skimmer made mine overflow the tank almost. Luckily I saw it in time and stopped it. I had to move the sensor farther away from the skimmer so it did not get as many bubbles on the sensor.

rvitko
07/13/2010, 08:09 AM
Even in a case like this the float switch and 10 minute safety shut off should prevent a major disaster, but yes, the sensor cannot differentiate between being dry and bubbles, air is read as air.