PDA

View Full Version : What kid of corals?

Seouljer
07/06/2010, 03:19 PM
Hello.
So i would like to move into the world of adding some corals to my tank but i need to know what are some good starting corals for a newbie that would be safe with a coral beauty angel? My girlfriend really wants a coral beauty angel and i really wants some corals but ive heard that all angles like to nip a corals. Is there a safe zone for me that i can have both?

Thanks
Seouljer

mak3mydae
07/06/2010, 03:20 PM
You could try some LPS or softies like Favia's or acans or kenya tree. I heard angels only nip SPS?

Jason S
07/06/2010, 03:26 PM
Can you describe your equipment and tank to us?

A Coral Beauty is hit or miss with most corals, and it really depends on the fish. I have seen some that will not leave corals alone, and some that ignore eveything completely.

xiaoyu04
07/06/2010, 03:27 PM
You could try some LPS or softies like Favia's or acans or kenya tree. I heard angels only nip SPS?

I thought the coral beauties' nipping can be kept to a minimum if they were well fed? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen a lot of tanks where the owner kept a coral beauty along with a bunch of SPS corals.

shifty51008
07/06/2010, 03:29 PM

i have heard the other way, where sps corals are usually safe with angels but either way any angel is a hit or miss with corals, some safer than others

Seouljer
07/06/2010, 03:34 PM
Can you describe your equipment and tank to us?

A Coral Beauty is hit or miss with most corals, and it really depends on the fish. I have seen some that will not leave corals alone, and some that ignore eveything completely.

I have a 36 gallon bowfront tank. Im running a HOB powerfilter, and a eshopps PSK-75H skimmer. I dont have any powerheads in the tank yet. Im gonna get 2 koralia evo 750s as soon as i get paid. The tanks has been up since march but i moved it to a new apartment last week. Im not gonna get a new fish or corals for awhile but im just doing my reasearch now. Ohh yeah im gonna be running a 4 bulb t5 fixture which will be purchased with the powerheads.

Seouljer

blasterman789
07/06/2010, 03:34 PM
Coral Beauties are marginally safe. Smaller angels typically won't nip at LPS or softies unless they're starving. In addition to above Candy Canes are very robust and a good beginner LPS.

Seouljer
07/06/2010, 03:43 PM
Coral Beauties are marginally safe. Smaller angels typically won't nip at LPS or softies unless they're starving. In addition to above Candy Canes are very robust and a good beginner LPS.

Sounds good. What about mushrooms? I like to look of some of them like ricordea

Floowid
07/06/2010, 03:52 PM
2 750s in a 36 gallon tank is a tremendous amount of flow. If you get any softies like Kenya trees or Xenia or colt corals they will be standing sideways like a palm tree in a hurricane :P

In addition to the softies I just mentioned, you should look at all the mushrooms and zooanthids/palyzoas. Go to a site like liveaquaria.com and look at the easy corals section.

Seouljer
07/06/2010, 03:56 PM
2 750s in a 36 gallon tank is a tremendous amount of flow. If you get any softies like Kenya trees or Xenia or colt corals they will be standing sideways like a palm tree in a hurricane :P

In addition to the softies I just mentioned, you should look at all the mushrooms and zooanthids/palyzoas. Go to a site like liveaquaria.com and look at the easy corals section.

Thanks for the info lol. Hows about 2 of the koralia evo nanos at 425 gph instead of 750?

Jacuzzi
07/06/2010, 04:16 PM
I have had a coral beauty for over 9 months without issue and I had the same concerns. I feed him twice a day and skip a meal about once a week. I have never seen him nip at my corals just try to steal food when I target feed.

Seouljer
07/06/2010, 04:34 PM
Awesome. I was hoping somebody with a similar situation would respond. I guess ill tell the GF we're gonna get one. Should i add the Angel first or the coral?

Palting
07/06/2010, 04:48 PM
Sounds good. What about mushrooms? I like to look of some of them like ricordea

My first coral was a zoa. While aquascaping, a rock fell on it. It survived, and is currently invding the rock it is on.

My second coral was a ricordea. It was growing on a clam shell, one on each part. I split the clam shell. Where there were two, now I have Five! No

No!. Wait. I just took this pic. Now I have Six!!

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/Kalawing/IMG_0093.jpg

Palting
07/06/2010, 04:53 PM
BTW, I just bought a coral beauty, small. I had tiny tube filter feeding worms on my live rock. The tubes are now empty. Dunno if he had anything to do with it. But, if it's a choice between a coral beauty and tiny filterfeeding tube worms, I'd go with coral beauty.

Seouljer
07/06/2010, 05:01 PM
Palting your ricordea look great. I think i will go with ricordea and a candy cane coral. I want more but i got to figure out which. Ive been looking at all the suggestions and its hard to choose lol

Palting
07/06/2010, 05:04 PM
I hear you. Hard to chose when you are just thinking about it. Do what I do. Go to your LFS and check out what they have. Keeping your wish list of easy corals with you, see which one's in the LFS grab your fancy, and look healthiest. Go with that one.

thecoralking
07/06/2010, 05:14 PM
mushrooms are preaty easy to take care of and dont think coral beauty will pick

Seouljer
07/06/2010, 05:38 PM
I hear you. Hard to chose when you are just thinking about it. Do what I do. Go to your LFS and check out what they have. Keeping your wish list of easy corals with you, see which one's in the LFS grab your fancy, and look healthiest. Go with that one.

Sounds good. My LFS has some but not many corals so im gonna have to take a trip to Columbus and see what they have lol. Your idea sounds good and im gonna go with it

Seouljer

Palting
07/06/2010, 05:48 PM
Here's somehwere I've wanted to go in the Columbus area, but haven't had the time. Let me know what you think. I'd love to know more about it!!

http://www.reefsystemscoralfarm.com/

Seouljer
07/06/2010, 06:29 PM
Here's somehwere I've wanted to go in the Columbus area, but haven't had the time. Let me know what you think. I'd love to know more about it!!

http://www.reefsystemscoralfarm.com/

Im not gonna put the coral in for a while. Wanna give it a couple weeks atleast since i just moved the tank not to long ago but i will make my way up there and give you a full report lol