PDA

View Full Version : SWC 160 Skimmer Adjustment Help?

bassking16
07/06/2010, 04:24 PM
Hi All,

I need some help adjusting my new skimmer. I bought an SWC Extreme 160 skimmer from a fellow reefer here on RC. The problem was that it didn't come with any instructions. It is a new skimmer.

I'm not a complete rooky, but I am having trouble adjusting this skimmer to get a dark skim. Right now I am getting a week coffee looking skimmate, and I have to empty the cup at least once a day, sometimes twice.

Little history: I got the skimmer last week. I ran it in a clean tub of saltwater for a couple days. Then I added a little skimmate from my old skimmer, and it began pulling it from the water right away, but it was real light. I still let it run until yesterday when I installed in my sump. I know that this skimmer runs good between 8 and 10 inches of water. Right now it is in 8.5 inches of water, and the output pipe is down as far as it can go. Unfortunately I am still getting pretty light skimmate.

Should I let this skimmer run for a while in order to fully break in before I mess with it, or is there something I could try right now to thicken up the skimmate? Currently, my airline is run to the outside of my house, and I have no adjustment on it. Should I get a little valve and cut down on the air intake?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MAMGM
07/06/2010, 05:09 PM
It hasn't broken in yet. Just let it run and don't tinker with it yet!

Maybe your bio load isn't that bad either

bassking16
07/06/2010, 05:57 PM
I figured it would just need to run in a bit. Thanks for the reply though. I think my bioload is on the medium/high side for my tank. It's a 150g DT with a 55g sump. Approxamately 125 gallons of water. My stock list is as follows:

4" Juvi Emp Angel
3" Yellow Tang
3" Coral Beauty Angel
4" Mel. Wrasse
4" Watchman Goby
1.5" Cin. Clown
2ea small PJ Cardinals
2ea small Green Chromis