PDA

View Full Version : Algae Problem. Ideas?

Ryand63
07/06/2010, 07:40 PM
So my tank is about 8 months old and has been stable with parameters for a while now. I got new lighting and now I am having hair algae grow on some rocks, not too much and little air bubbles coming up from all the algae on my rocks. Not bubble algae though just oxygen bubbles floating from the algae, very small bubbles. any idea what I can do to stop the bubbles/hair algae?

outy
07/06/2010, 08:11 PM
you need to clean up the water a bit despite readings theres still phos and nitrates.

run gfo or a fuge to help combat algeas

Ryand63
07/06/2010, 08:40 PM
ill look into it thanks!

Ston3
07/07/2010, 07:28 AM
I just got new lights and I have the same exact ha and bubbles. I got some dark brown algae too. I have yet to fix it though. I only got some emerald crabs for the ha. They are doing a good job.

teesquare
07/07/2010, 07:39 AM
Algaes are always an indication of water chemistry issues. Thoroughly test for Nitrate and Phosphate. It can be trapped in sand and rocks - so you may benefit by removing sand, and re-placing, over a period of time ( water change, and remove/replace 1/4 of the sand every week - just an example) and thoroughly blast the rock using a powerhead to stir up any trapped debris in/on the rock. I would rescommend that you put a sock filter on you line that drains to the sump, making sure to position it so that it cannot overflow onto the floor as it clogs- and really "stir things up. Do your water change after you do this.

Repeat this a few times over the next couple of months - and reduce the feeding of the tank and discontinue any "trace elements" -which may contain fuel for the algaes, and it should help you get rid of the algaes.

puckeater1
07/07/2010, 09:04 AM
if you want a great cleaner for algae i HIGHLY recomend sea hares... they are hair algae MACHINES.... imo they can go through algae about 100x faster than turbo snails... because of where i live they are almost impossible to get but in the US they are fairly easy to come by.

teesquare
07/07/2010, 09:43 AM
And - algae eaters of all kinds are great. You should have some....some.

*But* - you will be much happier with long term success if you deal with the problem - by dealing with the CAUSE (water chemistry) of the problem...not just the symptoms (algae)

Water chemistry is influenced by EVERYTHING that goes into it. Source water? RO/DI is best. Foods? Rinse frozen, or fresh seafoods - they contain phosphates as preservatives.
Quanity of feeding? Analyse it, see if maybe you should reduce it. Trace elements, and "pixie dust" type additives that promise magic? They are always suspect of fueling algae outbreaks. Water change and cleaning regimen? Take a hard look at how you are exporting nutrients via this method, and work on ways to improve it.
Make sense?

T