PDA

View Full Version : 200 gallon stocklist help and criticism

SantaCruzReefer
07/06/2010, 09:45 PM
Ive recently came across a 200 gallon acrylic aquarium with a 100 gallon sump for $150.Is that the deal of the century or what? I need to get some equipment still so that is in the works right now. The tank is going to be a full reef setup with lots of lps and am going to get into sps. However I want to have an appropriate set up with an appropriate stocklist to match.

Here's the stocklist im thinking of right now:
Blue Hippo Tang
Sailfin tang OR yellow tang
Leopard wrasse
Flame angelfish
Yellow clown goby

Now im sure I can add a few more reef fish right? Do I need to change something to avoid problems later on? Tell me what I need to do the stocklist and make some fish suggestions. Dont sugar coat it.

Also can anybody suggest a good skimmer for my tank and some good Metal Halides that in your experience is reliable. I have 6 years of saltwater fish experience if that means anything.

GhostCon1
07/06/2010, 09:50 PM
No offense, but if you have six years of experience with saltwater fish you should already know that your stocking list is fine, unless somehow your tank has extremely wierd dimensions.

You could put quite a bit more in there as well, but your two zebrasoma tangs may pick on each other, they are the same body shape. I've heard conflicting reports of people keeping different zebrasoma sp with problems and without problems. By this I mean keeping like 3-5 of them will all of them being different.

MyDogIsStill#1
07/06/2010, 09:56 PM
No that's all wrong, you should let me buy the tank.

My first suggestion would be to get it all set up first before even thinking of fish. Make sure you leak test it outside. That's a really too good of a deal, so fill it with water outside first.

Get a small cuc going after the tank has cycled, and then go around looking for fish. So many times I have seen a fish I wanted in the store but can't add him because I don't want to crowd my tank. My taste for certain fish changes and I will see a fish I like better than what I have, so I should have waited. Add your fish slowly you will be much happier in the future. Your fish will be too.

SantaCruzReefer
07/06/2010, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=GhostCon1;17336790]No offense, but if you have six years of experience with saltwater fish you should already know that your stocking list is fine, unless somehow your tank has extremely wierd dimensions.
QUOTE]

Exactly, I wanted to see what else anybody would suggest in my stocklist along with what else is already being planned to be added to the tank. What would you suggest?

SantaCruzReefer
07/06/2010, 10:12 PM
No that's all wrong, you should let me buy the tank.

My first suggestion would be to get it all set up first before even thinking of fish. Make sure you leak test it outside. That's a really too good of a deal, so fill it with water outside first.

Get a small cuc going after the tank has cycled, and then go around looking for fish. So many times I have seen a fish I wanted in the store but can't add him because I don't want to crowd my tank. My taste for certain fish changes and I will see a fish I like better than what I have, so I should have waited. Add your fish slowly you will be much happier in the future. Your fish will be too.

You're very right ive become extremely patient through saltwater fish and have no problem waiting for fish however corals will fly in there.:)"I dont care how long i have to wait to have a succesful tank" thats pretty much what I have told myself since the beginning and strongly stuck by it too.

MyDogIsStill#1
07/06/2010, 10:24 PM
You're very right ive become extremely patient through saltwater fish and have no problem waiting for fish however corals will fly in there.:)"I dont care how long i have to wait to have a succesful tank" thats pretty much what I have told myself since the beginning and strongly stuck by it too.

So your not gonna let me buy it?:furious:

Out of curiosity how good of shape is it in. I have the itch for another tank and am thinking of trying to find a used one out there someplace. just wondering what the going prices for used tanks are. I am in Maine and it seems here people want more than what they have paid for it. Saw a 55 with canopy and stand with 50lbs live rock trying to be sold for $2000. Crazy

Rebel
07/06/2010, 10:33 PM
Your tang selection is fine, though quite ordinary (you asked for criticism). I happen to stock relatively "safe" fish also, but that's mostly because the tank I keep is at a high school and I see it about 15 minutes a day. The Leopard wrasse is an expert fish. I recommend reading the primer in the "reef fishes" forum. Flame angels are gorgeous and a real eye catcher, but of course run the risk of nipping. A minimal risk IMO, and totally depending on what you stock coral-wise. As for the yellow clown goby, I have never had luck with them--jumping, getting lost, and one simply withering away. But I think they are cool. In a 200 they count about .0002% against your bioload. That's a ballpark guess, not a reflection of professional measurement, mind you.

If I had a tank in my home, a large tank, I couldn't help but go with a group of anthias. Ignitus, lyretails, or Bartlett's. You just need to give them a bit more attention, like feeding 2-3 times a day. A simple auto feeder may do it once they are trained on manufactured foods.

I also like a midas blenny. Great personality, different than most "regular fish" in attitude and swimming motion. And another fish that will add little to the bioload of a large tank.

You may think of a bubble tip anemone and get a pair of clowns. Many think they are cliche or typical, but I think they are classic and great inhabitants. There are many, many varieties, including a wide assortment of tank-bred variations in color and pattern.

Again, I don't know your coral thinking, but a scribbled rabbitfish is very intriguing. If it is too risky for you, consider a more traditional foxface. They are pigs, but are the best maintenance fish for algae, IMO.

Sorry if this is rambling (I had to keep typing--my Rockies started a ninth inning rally when I started, and it continued for nine runs in the ninth to overcome a 9-3 deficit and beat the Cardinals). Good luck with the tank.

SantaCruzReefer
07/06/2010, 10:33 PM
The tank is in brand new condition! Not a scratch on it too, and once upon a time this tank belonged to one of the founders of Yahoo and the guy was going to throw it away because he had tons of money and didnt care. So his roomate wanted it, a few years later its at my house.

I worked at an all saltwater fish and coral store for a year and we sold a tank like this for thousands of dollars. And 2 grand for a 55 and everything? Im sorry but that is steep.

Steve175
07/07/2010, 07:06 AM
2 tangs in a 200G will almost always be fine, regardless of body shape. Recommend adding them together in darkened tank, or adding larger one AFTER smaller one.

Fish also can be found from people leaving the hobby (and usually have been naturally selected to be heartier).

I agree that most of your efforts should be spent on planning your setup (equipment, plumbing, etc) rather than a stock list. When time, be a bit flexible w/ your list and instead SLOWLY add quality, compatible fish which you find.

Gary Majchrzak
07/07/2010, 07:09 AM
Ive recently came across a 200 gallon acrylic aquarium with a 100 gallon sump for $150.Is that the deal of the century or what?

who made the aquarium?

rich people can afford not to research stuff!

footballdude2k3
07/07/2010, 08:42 AM
i would be careful, something that big and cheap either has somebody that just doesnt care, or there is something wrong with the tank(i.e leak or possibly dumped a shitload of chemicals)

SantaCruzReefer
07/07/2010, 12:23 PM
There's really nothing wrong with the tank except that the sides are painted black, but that's an easy fix. The tank holds water perfectly and the reason the people were getting rid of the monster tank is because they were moving the next morning and couldnt take the tank. However the people with the tank never set it up so its in excellent condition.

Gary Majchrzak
07/07/2010, 02:47 PM
research yellow clown gobies.
there are several look alike species and one of them loves to eat Montipora polyps ;)

Angelfish MIGHT bother corals. Angelfish MIGHT NOT bother corals.

love the fact that you asked not to sugar coat the replies :beer:

SantaCruzReefer
07/07/2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah Ive seen the damage angels can do. So im going to be extremely careful and I might not even get an angel because of the problems that may occur. But I dont know Ill just have to see when it comes down to it.

SantaCruzReefer
07/07/2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah Ive seen the damage angels can do. So im going to be extremely careful and I might not even get an angel because of the problems that may occur. But I dont know Ill just have to see when it comes down to it.

aquaph8
07/07/2010, 05:37 PM
Your fish list looks good to me. Just take some time and really think it out. When you decide what you want (will probably change a dozen times), add slowly and decide what order to add them. The order in which you add them will play a huge role in wether you have problems along with size to some extent.

GreshamH
07/07/2010, 05:47 PM
I worked at an all saltwater fish and coral store for a year and we sold a tank like this for thousands of dollars..

Which one? (says some one from Santa Cruz :) )

SantaCruzReefer
07/07/2010, 05:57 PM
Which one? (says some one from Santa Cruz :) )

You live in santa cruz too? Awesome! I actually moved here from portland oregon to santa cruz after living in santa cruz most of my life. The store I worked at was called Seahorse aquarium supply,probably the best fish store ever.

GreshamH
07/07/2010, 06:13 PM
I actually now live in Aptos, but still call SC home :) Portland, guess you're familiar with my name then :lol:

Seahorse Aquarium is one of our (I work for Reef Nutrition) customers IIRC.

SantaCruzReefer
07/07/2010, 10:50 PM
Thats funny because I live in aptos too. Reef nutrition was a big seller there too and it's a coincidence because thats the food I use in my tanks and would always suggest to customers. We also used the food in the giant reef system and wow did the food do great corals grew like lightning. :eek2: