PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the lights off today

Paul B
07/07/2010, 05:20 AM
For the last three days it has been over 100 degrees here in NY and today is supposed to be 104. I am leaving the lights off in my reef today as I have no chiller. The corals may like it and will just sleep late today. :worried:
It is 86 degrees here now and it is 7:20 am. :furious:

It looks like another boating day

Rich1427
07/07/2010, 05:35 AM
also you should have a couple of 2liter bottles of water in the freezer just in case of power outages to throw in the sunp to keep temp under 84. keep cool bro

nvdiz
07/07/2010, 06:41 AM
turning the lights off sounds like a good idea, especially with this heat

Fishamatank
07/07/2010, 06:51 AM
welcome to my world! It's nearly that hot everyday for months where I live..

LeslieP
07/07/2010, 09:54 AM
100 here in CT too. My lights have been off for 2 days, top-off water is in fridge, I've made ice cubes with my RO-DI water as well. A fan is blowing across the top of the tank and I put big ice packs in ziplock bags and float them in. This has worked for me for 9 years now, with no AC, no chiller & no casualties :o

outy
07/07/2010, 09:57 AM
it was close to 100 here Paul and my swamp cooler that normaly comes on with its auto timer failed.

tank was over 86f, I dont know how much higher cause thats all the guage goes up to and it was pegged.

So my lights all went out as well.

i didnt lose anything, the anenomes were all shriveled up but they will be fine :)

Time for a new automatic timer

silentscream
07/07/2010, 09:59 AM
Humidity and 100+ degrees? no thanks. I do enjoy the dry heat of california's central valley. Good luck with the tank and heat!

Sugar Magnolia
07/07/2010, 11:38 AM
104 here yesterday and supposed be near the same today. Paul, why not use a couple of clip on fans to help with the heat? I have one clip on fan on my canopy and it helps tremendously.

Have fun on the boat!

nicknguyen
07/07/2010, 11:53 AM
i don't have a chiller either, so I turn my lights on around 5 pm and stay on till 3am( great night light). helps control the temp.

chimmike
07/07/2010, 12:06 PM
ya'all ever heard of Air Conditioning?

Sure, it's new technology and all, but you might be surprised what it can do! It conditions your air !

Seems to me you're not safe almost anywhere in the country without a/c.......doesn't the northeast get these freak heatwaves multiple times a year?

Paul B
07/07/2010, 12:07 PM
welcome to my world! It's nearly that hot everyday for months where I live..

Yeah but this is New York, it doesn't usually go over 100, it is 102 here today.
It doesn't bother me but my fish are giving me dirty looks.

A fan is blowing across the top of the tank and I put big ice packs in ziplock bags and float them in. This has worked for me for 9 years now, with no AC, no chiller & no casualties

I have the fan blowing across the water and plenty of Zip Loc ice packs.
It has been working in my reef for just about 40 years, no casualties for me either.

When I leave the lights off I blast Rolling Stones music near the tank, the corals think it's a typhoon because it's so dark.
It has never bothered them. :dance:

BrokeColoReefer
07/07/2010, 12:26 PM
I feel for you guys out east. its a cool 47* here in the colorado mountains.

williamjhitchcock
07/07/2010, 12:37 PM
You may want to have your light period switched to nights too. I run my lights at night in the summer since the house is a lot cooler at night. good luck, also i have a small fan that turns on same time my lights do really keeps the tank down a few degrees.

Levito
07/07/2010, 02:30 PM
posts like this make me glad I spend $250 on piece of mind in my chiller. If I came home to a 95 degree tank with everything dead in it, I'd be pretty ****ed. Considering it would take more than $250 to restock it, I think it was well worth the $.

blasterman789
07/07/2010, 02:45 PM
I don't have central air, and it's been in the 90's in my old house.

I run LED's, so heat is not an issue with those, but my tank still rises above 80F. Sorry, but in my past reef experience this is simply not good for most corals for an elevated time.

I get a big house fan on my tank, and turn off most of my pumps. If I have to I'll dump gell packs in the tank.

phil519
07/07/2010, 04:50 PM
hey paul - you must've missed my thread over on njrc...i shut the lights off 24 hrs ago...i checked the temps on the t5s and mine burn up to 110 degrees when all lit.

as always thanks for sharing. Nice to hear people with a "few" yrs experience chime in. :spin3:

boating sounds nice. A beer sounds better. :beer:

fihsboy
07/07/2010, 05:09 PM
time to invest in A) a chiller or B) an AC unit...... down here in florida its like that half the year, im pretty sure people would literally die around here without ac. Hope your tank pulls through with your climates!

Paul B
07/07/2010, 05:11 PM
I feel for you guys out east. its a cool 47* here in the colorado mountains.

BrokeColoReefer, I know it well, I was stationed in Colorado Springs for a few months and lived in Denver. I visited Boulder, or shacked up, I don't remember.
It was cool.
I spent a few days chasing buffalo with a M-60 tank in 6' of snow. I didn't hit any though, just woke them up.

It went to 103 here today and I worked in a place fixing the AC. It worked fine when I left but for 6 hours it was in the 90s.
As a construction worker I am used to the heat and it doesn't bother me, especially when I consider I made enough to buy boat gas for a few weeks. :)

Nice to hear people with a "few" yrs experience chime in.

boating sounds nice. A beer sounds better.

How about boating with beer?