PDA

View Full Version : Extra water volume

gowingsgo
07/07/2010, 10:07 AM
I want to move my sump to the basement and make it bigger then it is now. I currently have a 60 gallon Sump/Fuge and want to add a 150 gallon tub in the basement to use as my Sump/Fuge. If I am just adding new water and using the live rock from my old sump will my tank go through a cycle. I do plan on adding in more rock over time but plan to do this over several months. not all at once. and not until the new sump is up and running for at least a month. If anyone has done this. I would love to get your input on how it worked out for you and did the extra water volume help out your tank.
Thanks

sslak
07/07/2010, 10:11 AM
Shouldn't cycle, especially if you are taking the old sump off-line. The biggest chance of a cycle would be from disturbing any sand/gunky buildup in the old sump.

Bucket your live rock with plenty of water, and you should avoid die-off.

Good plan adding the rock very slowly, get cured rock and take it slow. You may get mini cycles with each rock addition but your biological filter should be able to compensate fairly quickly to small changes.

LifeAquatic
07/07/2010, 01:56 PM
Should be fine

BigOldReef
07/07/2010, 03:22 PM
Extra water volume is always an advantage. It adds stability. The only downside to more volume, is it takes more salt to fix things when then go awry. And your water changes should go up in size accordingly.

Moving sumps and switching over your existing rock shouldn't create any spikes at all. As long as the rock stays moist, it will be fine for a couple of days.