PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Water Help

celamb89
07/07/2010, 10:37 AM
Yesterday I changed the Rowaphos in my reactor and the water got "muddy" everything seems fine with the inhabitants but I cant see, the water is really cloudy :hmm4:
I usually clean the media with RO before I put it in the tank I know the instructions say not to but I try to avoid the muddy water and had never happened until now! I rinsed the media but not well enough I guess...

What should I do to get my tank back to normal? Should I run some carbon? the water has gotten slightly better since yesterday but I expected more improvement in water clarity by now, so I came here for some help!

Thanks

Allmost
07/07/2010, 10:47 AM
I run carbon 24/7

Id say its the most important part of reef filteration after live rock and skimmer :)

cloak
07/07/2010, 11:27 AM
I'm not exactly sure if carbon and Rowaphos work like that. Sand will create this same effect when it's not rinsed enough, maybe that's what happened here. Running a filter sock might be a better bet. It will take some time, but it should settle.

LifeAquatic
07/07/2010, 01:55 PM
Next time you fill up the reactor with Phos remover do a water change at the same time. Let the reactor out-put fill up your buckets until it runs clear. Dont rinse rowa phos. The instructions say a little clouding is normal and wont hurt the inhabitants.

celamb89
07/07/2010, 09:01 PM
Ok thanks for the input everybody!

The clarity got a lot better this afternoon but I put some carbon in anyway!

LifeAquatic, that sounds like a good plan! changing the media when doing the water change, Ill start doing that!