PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum oxide based phosphate/silicate remover

PelagicMagic
07/07/2010, 04:46 PM
does anyone use aluminum oxide based phosphate removers?

reef_doug
07/07/2010, 05:44 PM
Aluminum oxide maybe a little more effective with removing silicate, but the drawbacks of aluminum are a greater concern.

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2003/chem.htm

Stuart60611
07/07/2010, 06:14 PM
Aluminum oxide maybe a little more effective with removing silicate, but the drawbacks of aluminum are a greater concern.

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2003/chem.htm

Drawbacks aside, curious how effective it is at removing phosphate when compared to GFO?

PelagicMagic
07/07/2010, 06:16 PM
thanks, well then what is a safe media for phosphate removal?

I am not going to continue with aluminum oxide after this round. I have noticed reduction in algae after 5 days of use.

Many members in my club have told me they have issues with GFO.

bertoni
07/07/2010, 10:17 PM
GFO and the aluminum media are the common choices. People have issues with both, but I think the GFO is safe enough if used carefully. I'd definitely start out with a small dose, though, if I went that way.

Another approach is lanthanum dosing, which cause phosphate to precipitate. The precipitate can be caught in a filter, although some people just let it settle to the bottom of the tank. It can lower phosphate very quickly and cause problems in that way. Other people have reported losing fish, but it's not clear what the causal mechanism would be for that.

wayne in norway
07/08/2010, 05:55 AM
I didn't think Al based P removers removed silicate? They do remove discolourant organics rather well, an as they are larger grained than GFO I think they work better in a bag, and that is where I keep mine in combination with some carbon. I don't have big issues with P and this small amount in combination with my other filtration does well for me.
GFO works well in a reactor and 'fixes' silicate problems too. My reactor is full of zeolites tho'.

I use the FM Al based remover and that seems ok. I did use the Seachem stuff some years ago and got bad results with softies.

I do not like Lanthanum chloride. I am afraid people will dose it heavy and it will mimic calcium and kaibosh calcification - I have seen one case where this was done. If you google Lanthanum calcification you will find reference to this being problem with dialysis - the La is very good at removing P, but risks interfering with human bone calcification.

Boomer
07/08/2010, 10:54 AM
I didn't think Al based P removers removed silicate?

Yes they do and very, very fast, .ie., 1- 2 ppm in 48 hrs or less. I'm actually the guy that discovered that, by accident, back in the 90's when I did some work for Thiel :) I had gotten a new HACH silica test kit and could not figured out why 2 tanks that had 95 % WC the next day one tank was at 2 ppm and the other at 0 ppm. So, it was what was different and the only thing was I had X Phosphate in one tank and not the other. So, I added some the next day to the other tank and poof 0 ppm silica. I then told Thiel who added a new product X-Silica, which ticked me off, as now people where using 2 x to much of it. When I told Dr. Leo Moren from SeaChem labs, he just added it to the PhosGuard label, the correct thing to do, with still the same dosage.

PelagicMagic
07/08/2010, 04:44 PM
Wayne how long have you been using the Aluminum oxide?

Boomer what are your thoughts on its use?

elijaher
07/08/2010, 06:16 PM
Which one remove silicate better Aluminum or GFO?

outy
07/08/2010, 08:27 PM

I use alum for silicate removal in a pinch if need be.

I use GFO on a daily basis

Boomer
07/09/2010, 01:13 PM
Aluminum oxide

I see no issue if you are not having problems, which is mostly with soft corals. However, GFO is more efficient.

Aluminum oxide IMHO