PDA

View Full Version : Algae problem.. don't know what it is

Jennijamz
07/07/2010, 08:32 PM
Hey yall! I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I looked all over to see any similiar posts, but couldn't find one. Anyways, we have this red algae problem and we don't know what it is. It's not red slime, but it's also not hair algae.. or is it? I don't know but I hope you guys can help identify it and how to get rid of it. It's red and on the rocks, it's kinda hairy but in little bundles that look kinda fuzzy. Well, here's a picture. Thanks :D

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/Jennijamzz/algae.jpg

Shore Tang
07/07/2010, 08:54 PM
I believe this is red Nemastoma. Not positive on this but pretty confident. This is a rare algae that is actually sought after. If thats what it is. Post this thread in the algae forum and you should get some more answers. Some people will probably want to buy or trade something for this. Ive had it my tank for years and just prune it by hand when need be. I like it so I have never tried to have it removed completely. Just keep it in check. Don't know of anything that eats it. Good luck.

wilsonreefs
07/07/2010, 08:58 PM
I see that you also have some of the "Arkansas Bubble Coral" aka bubble algae. lol. Everyone has at one time or another. Arkansas Bubble Coral is just a joke around here...
Carl

Jennijamz
07/07/2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys! I'll post this in the algae forum. I tried pulling it off but it's so hard to just pull off without kinda rubbing it a bit. But I was scared that it would spread if I did that.

waldomas
07/07/2010, 10:41 PM
Nightmare Red Cotton Algae: Took over my tank

waldomas
07/07/2010, 10:43 PM
That was supposed to be a link. :)

Try searching that title. Or try Mexican Turbo snails but not too many.

waldomas
07/07/2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745530

I think this will work.

Is the algae that is closer to the light lighter in color?

Jennijamz
07/07/2010, 10:55 PM
Oh Lord! This is serious stuff then! Thank you for linking me to that. Yeah it is a little lighter but it's still dark red.. kinda velvety (sp?) looking.

waldomas
07/07/2010, 11:04 PM
How my gallons is your display?

I would use 1 Turbo for about every 50 gallons or so.
They will tear this stuff up in no time then probably starve to death.

Maybe once they clear it up, you could remove all but a smaller one.
They do get rather large.

Jennijamz
07/08/2010, 09:49 PM
Oh it's only a 20 long

waldomas
07/08/2010, 10:29 PM
Just try one.
Don't let your temp get too high.
Remove any aggressive crabs.
Keep it upright.
Batten down the hatches.
You should notice in a few days to a week if it will work.

Jennijamz
07/08/2010, 11:00 PM
What do you mean keep it upright? Maintain the tank well? Cause we make sure we do that. And batten down the hatches? Sorry lol

BlueFaceAngel
07/09/2010, 12:23 AM
sea hare or 5-10 blue leg hermit crabs...more flow is needed as well, keep your lighting 5-6 hours try no direct sun light..

if you can remove the rocks clean them that way.

waldomas
07/09/2010, 07:13 AM
What do you mean keep it upright? Maintain the tank well? Cause we make sure we do that. And batten down the hatches? Sorry lol

They are clumzy and have diffuculty uprighting themselves.

They are also notoriuos "bulldozers". Make sure all your frags are secure.