PDA

View Full Version : No Skimmer for a Month+

phoenix001
07/08/2010, 08:15 AM
The pump on my Euroreef Skimmer gave out recently, so I ordered a new one but its on backorder until the end of July. I conduct weekly to bi-weekly 15% water changes on my 90 gallon SPS tank, so my question is, will I be ok without a skimmer for more than a month?

Thanks
Tom

Sugar Magnolia
07/08/2010, 08:19 AM
You'll be fine. I would, however, suggest bumping the water changes up to weekly 15%

Ali :D
07/08/2010, 08:21 AM
+1 I don't run a skimmer on my 90 with sps and lps.

ms123
07/08/2010, 08:33 AM
Do you have a heavy bioload? I would also do the water changes weekly instead of biweekly until you get the skimmer back up and running.

newtank
07/08/2010, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't sweat it either. I run a 300g with no skimmer, just 4ea 100micron filter socks that I change every three days. I plan to bring my skimmer on line because I believe that there are a fair amount of dissolved organics that skimmers remove that you can't see until aggregated in the collection cup. I may even run my skimmer on a timer, just to see how it works. I have mostly soft corals however, so perhaps you may feed a little less, try filter socks if you don't already. Plus ensure that you are getting all the oxygenation possible, as your skimmer feeds o2 for the bacteria in your tank to break down wastes, if you can lower your overflow for more fall, it will be noisier, but worth it, also adjust return effluent so that more surface adgitation occurs.

Ston3
07/08/2010, 10:53 AM
I ran skimmerless on my 37g for about 3 weeks while I was changing as well. The thing I immediately noticed was the sleeping habit of my midas blenny. Before, he used to sleep at the very bottom on his rock. While running skimmerless, my blenny would sleep about halfway up the tank against the silicone, constantly swimming in place head up. Once I resumed skimming, my blenny returned to his usual sleeping rock.

Point being, watch your oxygenation as someone else mentioned. Aside from the above suggestions, you can also use a little powerhead to create more surface agitation for gas exchange.

Mattik
07/08/2010, 06:00 PM
My skimmer went down a couple of months ago and as a result I lost a couple of monti's and a birds nest, but all my LPS, softies and mille's were fine. However, like others I've run many tanks in the past with no skimmer at all with reasonable success.

I think the bio-load question is key, and increasing water changes would help as well. Just keep in mind that there is some risk of loss, but I don't think your situation suggests certain or massive losses.

Eel Freak
07/08/2010, 09:39 PM
Bio-load is definitely key. For nine months now I have had no skimmer on my LPS/softie 125 and have seen some awesome growth and coloration. However, I have finally ordered one and it is supposedly to arrive next week... Just watch your params and do water changes as needed like I have and you'll be fine. I do 10g weekly and 30g once a month.

prickles
07/09/2010, 05:01 PM
I would also agree with the make sure you do weekly water changes. Also, stick a vortech or korallia in your sump right near the top of the water so it venturis and oxygenates in the meantime. I guess an air pump could work too if prolific enough.