PDA

View Full Version : putting together a qt tank

abell
07/08/2010, 09:32 AM
I have a 40g breeder I'm going to use as a qt. Any good suggestions on how you would set it up? The only thing I know for sure is that it should be barebottom.

Sugar Magnolia
07/08/2010, 09:34 AM
Bare bottom, no LR, a few elbows/pieces of PVC for the fish to hide in. A simple HOB filter, heater as needed.

abell
07/08/2010, 05:12 PM
I figured as much but how do I keep a tank running with out live rock or sand though and just a hob skimmer?

teddyzaper
07/08/2010, 05:16 PM
let the filter floss sit in your display for a bit so it grows some bacteria, then it will seed your QT. its just like a freshwater aquarium with salt :P

wrott
07/08/2010, 05:27 PM
You can put an Emporer 280 filter on your fuge/sump indefinately, and just switch it over to the QT when needed. It will have a ton of bacteria in the filter (don't change the filter before you switch).
That with a small PH, heater, tight fitting top (egg-crate)--stressed fish will jump, especially w/out LR and other cover.
A simple NO UV light will be fine for QT--like the one that came w/ the QT.

Indymann99
07/08/2010, 06:42 PM
My simple 20g QT

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/QTinMixRm.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/QTTankcloseup.jpg

travis32
07/08/2010, 06:47 PM
So, question, what effect does the QT have on the LR or the LR on the QT if I may ask, or is that reccomendation only if you plan on using copper or other chemical based treatments?

I'm doing strictly Hyposalinity in my QT, I threw a couple pieces of LR from my sump on the bare bottom of the QT, to help with bacteria population and to help provide additional hiding spots..

I'm not planning to use any chemical treatments! (Other than Prime to remove nitrates and ammonia as needed.)

prickles
07/09/2010, 05:05 PM
i use about 10lb of lr in my 10g QT tank. I think it really helps with the ammonia etc. I also do a 50% wc 1-2x/week when it's occupied. I do dose coppersafe and when i pull 50% of the water, I add 50% of the dose, so I don't really worry about the rock pulling the copper out of the water since it's constantly being replenished.

Jstdv8
07/09/2010, 05:51 PM
the LR isnt going to hold as much bacteria on it as a basic sponge filter. Plus if you treat with copper that LR is now worthless for anything but a hiding spot in a QT. can never be added back to a DT.
LR is not needed in a Qt tank. Just put your sponge filter in some flow in your sump or DT for a week before you buy a new fish, coral, invert ect and then transfer it over to the filter system on the QT and you are good to go.
Don't over complicate it, its really about as easy as things get in our hobby.

stlcardinalnut
07/14/2010, 04:58 PM
I am also setting up a QT for my new 70G tank. Do I need to put the first fish in QT? Also, the QT runs ALL the time? Could I throw some of the water from my tank in the QT from a water change? That will have the bacteria needed or does it need new fresh SW?

Indymann99
07/14/2010, 08:15 PM
I use the following process.

4 weeks Prior to obtaining fish - start QT with fresh SW and filter media that has been in sump for 4 weeks.

Get fish, acclimate via drip method 3hrs

QT week 1 - WC as necessary with fresh SW (watch params especially Am) topoff with RO daily (no ATO as I like to check the QT daily for signs of trouble).

QT week 2 - same as above
QT week 3 - Wed 25% WC using water from DT.
QT week 3 - Sat 25% WC using water from DT
QT week 4 - Wed 25% WC using water from DT
QT week 4 - Sat 25% WC using water from DT

After this the QT roughly is equal to the DT, if the fish is healthy it can go directly into the DT.

my method, I dont use meds if no signs of issues.