PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Heaters a Good Idea?

Jacuzzi
07/08/2010, 11:01 AM
So I have been running a 40 gallon reef tank for over a year and I have become nervous about a crash. My friends tank just crashed because of a heater explosion and now that my tank is maturing nicely I would hate to lose anything because of a failed peice of equip. I currently run one heater that I believe is 150 or 200 watts and have not had any problems but should I run a backup? Also why do these heaters explode? Also suggestions on a full proof heater or method? Thanks all

patsfan1130
07/08/2010, 11:17 AM
2 heaters are definately better than one. Redundancy is a good thing. if one fails off, the other is there to prevent catastrophy. If one fails on, you've only got 100w instead of 2 and gives you more time to catch it. regardless of what brand you use (I use Jager) I highly recommend a dedicated controller such as a Ranco. If you dont you take a huge risk because ALL heaters will fail.

Allmost
07/08/2010, 11:22 AM
I use 2,
one reason is redundancy which is never bad.

other is that when heating is required, if you set one slightly lower than other (takes alot of time to get it right) then you break the slope of the temp change, hence smaller changes.

Levito
07/08/2010, 11:24 AM
+1 to everything patsfan said...even though it's tough to agree with any boston sports fan :lmao:

fewskillz
07/08/2010, 11:25 AM
I use 2,
one reason is redundancy which is never bad.

other is that when heating is required, if you set one slightly lower than other (takes alot of time to get it right) then you break the slope of the temp change, hence smaller changes.I'm with this guy. I have 3 on the 180. I like the Stealth heaters because they're plastic. I've lost a few fish to a glass heater exploding.

sslak
07/08/2010, 02:59 PM
I use two Jager heaters, a 150w and a 50w on my Oceanic 58. You couldn't pay me enough money to put a VisiTherm or Stealth heater in my tank, the plastic Marineland especially are junk, just do a google search on reefcentral and you'll see dozens of stealth heater explosions, and I doubt you'll find a case of a Jager exploding. They may get stuck on, but all heaters can fail that way, thats why a controller is important. Pyrex glass isn't going to rupture under normal temperature unless you smash it with something.

I have both heaters on my Reefkeeper2 controller and the 50w kicks in 0.5 degrees after my 150w turns on.

If one fails, the other one will kick in right behind it. They both cutoff at the same temp.

Redundancy is a great idea in all critical aspects of this hobby.

Allmost
07/08/2010, 03:07 PM
also, a grounding probe is a MUST

I have broken MANY heaters in tanka nd it was the probe that saved me and the fish

Jacuzzi
07/08/2010, 03:29 PM
Ok so I have been in the hobby for about a year and i have kept my tank pretty minimalist in terms of technology its a 40 breeder with halides and mostly zoas, and no sump. Controllers are somewhat daunting for me as I dont fully understand them. So SSlak what do you mean by they will cut off at the same temp? Is it that the controller you have will not let your tank heat up past a certain point or it will cut them off? Also any suggestions on a price friendly controller and kinda explaining to me what it does exactly? Thanks for the responses guys

Levito
07/08/2010, 03:45 PM
ReefKeeper Lite is $99. I don't have a controller, but a lot of people swear by them. It's a central way to keep an eye on all sorts of parameters. You can set it to do certain things when certain requirements are met. For example, you could set it so that when the temp hits 80F, turn off the heaters. And when it hits 84F, turn off the lights. They can also do things like send you an email if this happens. They can do a ton more things with the right attachments, like monitor your pH, and give you reports on the swings.

ludnix
07/08/2010, 04:01 PM
also, a grounding probe is a MUST

I have broken MANY heaters in tanka nd it was the probe that saved me and the fish

If you're on a GFCI, otherwise it's a potentially dangerous situation.