PDA

View Full Version : Pomacanthus annularis (Annularis Angelfish) Compatibility

mjoener
07/08/2010, 11:29 AM
I am interested in getting a juvi of this species, will be last addition to tank, a 65g Red Sea Max.
My main concern is the butterfly fish that I have. The butterfly is roughly 4 in the angel will be less than 3, closer to two.
If added last is there anything I should be worried about?

AngelAddict
07/08/2010, 11:40 AM
Yes it out growing that tank within months. Minimum 180g if you want to keep a blue ring long term.

mjoener
07/08/2010, 11:44 AM
Yes it out growing that tank within months. Minimum 180g if you want to keep a blue ring long term.

? Th biggest I read was 100g
Average was 70

What is timeframe of growth? If it is 3 in today, will it grow within months or a year or two?

stunreefer
07/08/2010, 11:49 AM
"Minimum Requirements" on retailer websites are generally pretty ludicrous honestly.

Look into Centropyge species as you could keep them their entire lives in a 65 gal RSM :thumbsup:

revaltion131
07/08/2010, 01:11 PM
I agree with Stunreefer. The annularis is by far one of my favorite fish but if you've ever seen an adult, you know they shouldn't be in anything less than 180g at least.

I would suggest using WetWebMedia as a good research site for tank sizes instead of online vendors. WWM is very generous in their minimum sizes from time to time but their interest is usually in the well-being of the fish and not in selling a product.

mjoener
07/08/2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys!

AngelAddict
07/08/2010, 03:21 PM
Also I wouldn't look at "minimum" tank sizes, you want the fish to be happy and healthy.

agreeive?fish
07/08/2010, 05:42 PM
one of the popular online retailers has had a couple of annularis for sale latley in thier wysiwyg section @ 15-16 inches and after looking at the photos of it i would not put it in any tank under 6ft x 2ft (210g) or bigger.. they are one of the large angels that get big length and heigth and grith wise.. in other words they get big in every direction

lhm nole
07/08/2010, 06:44 PM
one of the popular online retailers has had a couple of annularis for sale latley in thier wysiwyg section @ 15-16 inches and after looking at the photos of it i would not put it in any tank under 6ft x 2ft (210g) or bigger.. they are one of the large angels that get big length and heigth and grith wise.. in other words they get big in every direction

I have a 12 inch mac in a 8ft 300 30 inches wide and 24 tall and my tank is too small for him will eventually put him in a 900 and mine is big every direction even out the rear.

mjoener
07/09/2010, 06:47 AM

I can't find anything doc these fish over 12".

Also, their activity level is pretty low, yea they graze, but it is not like it is not putting out as much energy as say a tang