PDA

View Full Version : Next livestock purchase help

Syncere
07/08/2010, 03:57 PM
I am having a difficult time picking possibly the last addition(s)as far as livestock for my tank. A little info about the tank and livestock now: 20L, 1 True Perc (~2 in), YWG (~2 in), Pistol Shrimp (~1 in) and Peppermint Shrimp (~2 in).

I may get another True Percula to go with my other one but will have to look at the size. Would adding anymore shrimp be difficult to watch over and make sure they all get along? As for what I am really looking for and have been reading up on are fish/shrimp that can help keep the tank free (or at least limit) of pests (i.e. bristleworms, flatworms, etc.).

I would love to get a wrasse but have no lid and would like to keep the open top. Any suggestions? Looking for compatibility also.

Thanks,
Marc

thegrun
07/08/2010, 04:38 PM
Another clown should be fine, with yours at 2" it is likely already a female so go with a smaller clown, say 1". There is no guarantee that your clown will accept another, but it should be okay. A Royal Gramma would work also.

Paco
07/08/2010, 06:24 PM
Six-line but then you'd need a top.

euromomtx
07/08/2010, 06:33 PM
Look into David's mesh top (got a thread on that on MAAST)
easy to make with David's clear mesh, very attractive and doesn't show over the trim
That being said 20L is not very big. I'd say you are close to your end of fish additions but I am more conservative with that than most people

ritter6788
07/08/2010, 06:51 PM
That being said 20L is not very big. I'd say you are close to your end of fish additions but I am more conservative with that than most people

Agreed. Except I'm not that conservative. 20 liters is a very small tank for any fish.

Syncere
07/08/2010, 07:14 PM
Yeah never planned to put too much live stock in but wanted to put at least one more fish and if I could get one that would be interesting and at the same time keep small things in order such as pest would be great. Will look into that mesh top but if I decide to stay topless will probably just go with another clown.

Also what about the shrimp situation? Too many already to add one more? If not which would be most beneficial to my system?

Sorry the 20L meant a 20 gallon long. Never really even wanted to add any fish but the ywg but the gf wanted a "nemo" lol

ritter6788
07/08/2010, 07:23 PM
Sorry the 20L meant a 20 gallon long. Never really even wanted to add any fish but the ywg but the gf wanted a "nemo" lol

LOL! 20 gallon long...now that's a lot different than 20 liters!

Syncere
07/09/2010, 05:22 PM
Anyone have any advice as far as the shrimp go?

greech
07/09/2010, 10:15 PM
I had a skunk cleaner with a fire shrimp in a 40 breeder and that did not end well for the fire shrimp. Another peppermint might work but you might want to get some more opinions.