PDA

View Full Version : who here isn't running any kind of fuge?

lewk
07/08/2010, 04:57 PM
Just wondering if anyone is skipping fuges altogether here. I've been running a scrubber for a while now, but am getting tired of the weekly cleanings and frequent bulb changes. Was thinking about running a fuge with some macro, since it would be a little easier to deal with...and that just got me thinking...hey, maybe some folks are skipping them completely. Anyone go this route?

teddyzaper
07/08/2010, 05:00 PM
i dont have one on my 10 gallon and i get good growth and low nitrates/nitrites ect

celano
07/08/2010, 05:08 PM
I use to have a small fuge section in my sump that was partitioned off by acrylic baffles.
After two years of struggling with it I finally got rid of the cheto and other algae in there.

I'm not sure what the problem was but I think the most limiting factor was the size. I only have a 20 long sump and it was just to small of an area after I had a skimmer compartment, bubble trap, and also a return pump compartment.

A year and a half later with no fuge and the tank is doing just as good if not a little better then when I had one. I think that in the future if I upgrade to a bigger tank with a bigger sump I'll get a larger fuge separated entirely from the sump so I'll have more room for the plant life growing there.

MCCOOL
07/08/2010, 05:15 PM
I stopped running one a few months ago, I dose vodka and really wasn't seeing any growth from the macro, so I got rid of it. I kept a little rock rubble in a "kritter keeper" for copepods, but that's it. The vodka and GFO take care of nitrates and phosphates so I don't really see any benefit to having the algae. And it's one less thing I have to maintain.

phenom5
07/08/2010, 05:44 PM
No fuge for me. Not enough room to run a fuge of an effective size in my sump. I run GFO in a reactor, dose carbon, and have a quality skimmer. Seems to be working well for me.

billdogg
07/08/2010, 06:20 PM
One tank yes, for about a year now. the other tank no, never. no skimmer either. and using a dual biowheel and a canister filter. been that way since 1992 and going strong.

biecacka
07/08/2010, 06:24 PM
no fuge here either! dont doubt they work just never used one and have had good results
corey

dublo8
07/08/2010, 06:46 PM
I dont have one on any of my tanks and have never had one. I run HOB filters and am skimmer free as well. I do have one planned for my 55g but that is still in the works. I dont doubt they work either I just never had one. Also have good growth on corals, fish etc. However, it would be a nice time out spot for my six line wrasse every once and a while.

Eel Freak
07/08/2010, 09:35 PM
No fuge on my 200 or my 125. Skimmer on the 200 (FOWLR) and after 9 months getting one for the 125 (LPS/softie reef)

EMUReef
07/08/2010, 09:57 PM
I have HOB fuge made out of a AC70 filter thats on my 20tall.

I have a crappy HOB skimmer on it as well and before i did the fuge i had an algae problem and i wasn't over feeding, just the skimmer sucked.

Once i put the fuge on it went away, and i actually think my fuge is doing most of the work now.

Hwang
07/08/2010, 10:13 PM
I've had no sump, fuge for a year, 0 nitrates, etc
Fuge = unnecessary, can be convenient, but can be inconvenient at times too.

hondo3
07/08/2010, 11:31 PM
no fuge for me

BlueFaceAngel
07/09/2010, 12:20 AM
600 gal reef no fuge

okieman98
07/09/2010, 12:26 AM
i have a 55 and over a year now no sump, fowlr i dont have the room, if i had it i would run one, i have 2 hob emperor filters but they have a refillable insert for carbon and bio wheel, chunk the wheels and i use filter floss in the inserts and but carbon in media socks when u need it, works great. but i do run a big skimmer

mullinsd2
07/09/2010, 12:48 AM
i dont have a fuge or a skimmer on my nano 28. I just run carbon and chemi pure elite along with filter floss. I do weekly 5 gallon changes and I have had zero nitrates since the cycle! I also only have two clowns, 5 or 6 turbos and an emerald crab! I will add a tunze skimmer soon because I want to add one more fish and keep my sps going strong!

cloak
07/09/2010, 01:18 PM
I don't have a refuge either. I do have a few pieces of live rock in the sump though. Kind of a cryptic zone. Lots of sponges, featherdusters, etc.