PDA

View Full Version : what kind of paint have you used on stand

badwrasse
07/08/2010, 06:13 PM
what kind of epoxy and caulk can i use on the inside of my stand? better yet what should i stay away from

DeathWish302
07/08/2010, 08:08 PM
So are you asking about paint, caulk and epoxy?

Epoxy: West Systems is by far the best, but since it won't be touching water any standard 2-Part will work.

Caulk: Why use with Epoxy? If your only using paint and caulk, stick with GE XST Paintable Formula (available at Lowe's/HD).

Paint: I prefer water-based. I HATE Valspar, as it seems to take weeks to lose the tackiness and has a problem drying if too thick of a coat is applied. I absolutely love Rustoleum water-based paints. I have a stand that was painted with oil-based Rustoleum about 9 years ago, but is just doesn't hold up to the abuse of the bumps from working in the sump as well as a coat of Kilz water-based and Rustoleum water-based.

Phyxius
07/08/2010, 08:16 PM
When I did mine I caulked all the seams and then primed with Oil Kilz and coated with marine enamel. The caulk was a silicone based paintable kind I also got at marine store. Still looks like the day I did it with no cracking or yellowing. The canopy was done the same way and it still looks like day 1. Salt creep/mist and water just wipe right off. Epoxy really isn't needed unless you plan on a lot of water contact in your stand
Agree on the Rustoleum line of paints. Have a few items painted with it and it never has let me down on outside yard items that get weathered pretty well.

badwrasse
07/08/2010, 09:13 PM
i will be using epoxy paint (on the inside of stand) not epoxy caulk but have considerd vulkum caulk for the cracks (on the inside of stand) and the reason im asking is because i know there are some products that we should stay away from like silione/paint with mildicides and only trying to get an idea of a good to part epoxy (paint) that guys have used in the past and have/had a thriving system, not to worried about what to use on the outside as it does not come into contact with anything that can leach or fall into the water, i have looked into west systems but do not want to order it (do marine shops carry it).

lagatbezan
07/09/2010, 09:20 AM
I just painted the inside of my stand. after reading all the posts here i decided to go with White appliance epoxy paint from HD (thanks Stugray ::)). went on really easy and looks great. and i used a semi glossy water based paint for the outside.

badwrasse
07/09/2010, 06:13 PM
epoxy is the most safe but like i sad some leach stuff some epoxies even leach copper zink and other nasty stuff i just wanted to know if someone knew of a reef safe epoxy so i didnt have to read 10+ MSDS sheets

Drewbaby
07/09/2010, 09:59 PM
My stand was painted with marine grade paint that they use for the hulls of boats. 3 coats of that and 2 coats of black latex paint done by previous owner. I repainted it with a waterproof non toxic latex paint that I believe was "Behr" brand. It's really water proof and I've accidentally splashed my canopy and had water drip in the tank with no issues.

I think as long as it's a non toxic latex based paint you should be ok. I got mine at home depot or lowe's