PDA

View Full Version : How long should lights be on

ldallen95219
07/09/2010, 01:33 PM
I have a Nova Extreme Pro High Output T5 Lighting System with (6) bulbs on a 55 gal tank. As some of you know the Nova Extreme has two separate switches and I have two separate timers. On one timer (timer No. 1) I have two bulbs (both ATI blue plus) and on the other timer (timer No. 2) four bulbs (UVL 75/25; ATI blue plus; ATI aquablue; ATI blue plus). I run timer No. 1 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. then shuts off when timer No. 2 comes on which I run from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. then shuts off and once again No. 1 from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Am I doing this right or should ALL lights be on during the 10 hours (from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)? During the winter months I have the No. 1 stay on longer in the evening from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. as I like the bluish twilight look in the tank but during the summer the tank gets quite warm during the day (highest it has gotten is 84) so have cut down on the lighting operation. Oh, forgot to mention, I have mostly soft corals and fish in my tank.

Anyway, any advice on whether or not I should be running all lights at the same time or leave it the way I am running them now would be appreciated. Thanks

ms123
07/09/2010, 01:52 PM
You can run the lights either way. I think most people run the two bulbs, then the other 4 come on (all lights running now), then the 4 go off, then the last 2 go off. If the water is getting too hot then I would keep running them the way you are. If you have softies and everything is doing good then keep doing what you are doing. For the heat issue you can have a fan blowing across the top of the tank to keep the water a little cooler. You will be suprised at how much it helps.

Tuscaquatics
07/09/2010, 05:18 PM
I have a 4 bulb T5. I go with 2 or so hours of just actinic, then throw on the other bulbs for about 6 hours also, then 2 more of just actinic. The solely actinic period helps the coralline and the corals and fish love the dusk/dawn effect.

thegrun
07/09/2010, 05:44 PM
I would lengthen the time the two bulb configuration runs to 2 hours dawn and dusk and shorten the 4 or 6 bulb run (if you have high light demand corals like SPS, anemones, or clams run all 6, if low light corals like mushrooms or zoas you only need 4) to 7 or 8 hours max.