PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fragging leather

wardworld
07/09/2010, 03:16 PM
I need some advice on how to frag the leathers in the pic below. They are attached to a rock and I want to move them to a different location in the tank. I've never tried to frag any corals before so any advice/how-to will be appreciated. Again, I don't want to create smaller corals (so maybe this really isn't fragging), I just want to adhere them to a new rock/plug.
Thanks,
Pic:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2573&pictureid=17870

bussea02
07/09/2010, 07:23 PM
I would just cut them off at the bottom with a razor blade. Then stick them wherever you wanted them with some rubberbands or whatever you think will work until they attach themselves. You'll probably end up having 2 growing in the same place again, but that will take a while.

If you don't want them to be so tall and skinny i'd suggest putting them up higher in your tank.

wardworld
07/09/2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks, I may try that...

bussea02
07/09/2010, 07:27 PM
They take being sliced up very well. I took one of mine that had unattatched itself and was looking pretty sickly and cut it up into about 9 peices with a fillet knife. A few weeks later i had a bunch of nice little leathers.

Edit - the most important thing is to have some really good soap on hand. Those things smell terrible when you start cutting them and it doesnt come off your hands

reefer31
07/10/2010, 04:02 PM
A good idea is to wear some latex gloves while cutting corals. It keeps the stink off your hands and also helps to reduce stress on the corals. Have fun with cutting up that leather! If you wanted to save the head of the leather you could cut a bit into the leather and then cut around the perimeter so you will still have the mushroom look to it but you will have many small pieces to sell. I hope that makes sense. :lol:
Ian

wardworld
07/10/2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks Ian, I wasn't intending to do that, but I might "whip up" some frags while I'm at it :)

Vegas.
07/10/2010, 04:28 PM
I fragged my leather back in Jan. I tried a razorblade that didn't work. Just use some sissors and cut the stalk.

Be prepared to do a WC while you cut it as they will release quite a bit of slime. Simply start you syphon and make your cut as you syphon out all the slime.

After that is all done just find your location and try to attach with a rubber band for a couple of weeks.

Keep in mind that a new one will grow from where you make the cut.

wardworld
07/10/2010, 05:59 PM
I will actually remove the rock from the tank (I need to deal with an aptaisia issue) before cutting...

wardworld
07/13/2010, 04:39 PM
Another question: If I do want to frag the corals, can I also frag from the stalks? Most of the tutorials discuss fragging from the actual cap of the coral. I really didn't want to cut them up (just re-attach them), but if possible, I would like to make a few frags from the stalks...any ideas/opinions?????