PDA

View Full Version : How to get sump into stand?

namsupak
07/10/2010, 09:35 AM
Currently I have a 90 gallon tank which has been up and running for years. I would like to upgrade the sump I have now which is basically a converted wet dry. The tank and stand are the basic AGA I got from an lfs years ago. Basically the problem is that there is a center brace that prevents me from fitting something into the front of the stand. Reading through the forums here I have seen people using the u brace and some mixed opinions on taking out the center brace. I did see the u brace on melevsreef. Some people have mentioned taking out a side of the stand. I was wondering if anyone has done this or has pictures of the procedure. Has anyone had luck doing this? Did you replace the side or make it into a door? I would prefer to take out a side and make a door because then I would have a future access into the stand. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

MadOTC
07/10/2010, 01:24 PM
Do you have any pictures of the stand? They would help us figure out what you're trying to deal with.

Limpit
07/10/2010, 01:28 PM
I replaced my wet dry with a 30 gallon a while ago.
Here is what I ended up doing and it took an entire day to do.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1438855

namsupak
07/10/2010, 05:57 PM
Here is the stock picture.

Limpet: thanks for the reply I think I had seen your thread before too.

I am not able to drain the tank or remove rock. The tank is up and running and has been for sometime. I was hoping someone had taken off the side panels before to slide a sump in. I looked on the inside and it looks like the side panels are not really structural, I just want to be sure.

namsupak
07/10/2010, 05:57 PM
stock pick

gobyvin
10/21/2010, 06:42 PM
When I bought an AGA 180 with cabinet (pine) I reinforced the interior with 4x4 cedar lumber due to the sketchy way these stands are built. I did use an electric saw, (Fein Multimaster, best damn multitool known to man) to cut the side out and slip two Precision Marine Acrylic Refugiums in that were plumbed together inline. That worked for me with the gorilla bracing I have. For you, i would recommend Melev's approach, or a hybrid of that idea. Maybe you might be able to install safety braces made of 2X4's cut to make a nice tight archway inside the end you will cut into. These can be pre-made, the existing filter taken off line when your ducks are in a row and you can pop them in and screw and glue the arch into place, then saw a hole and insert the sump. This is what I would do. Also, since you will be vibrating the stand to a degree depending on the saw you use, maybe check all other joinery and reinforce appropriately before cutting. Good Luck! There is always an element of danger when doing things like this. I was nervous just cutting a non-load-bearing part of my stand.

FishBum81
10/22/2010, 05:34 AM
My sump started leaking and I was lazy so I didn't want to tear down my entire tank. I built a pair of legs to support the stand out of 2x4's and a pair of bottle neck jacks. I then lifted the stand frame 1/16" to remove the load from the center brace and popped it out then went to work removing the sump and installing the new one. The legs you build will be in the way unless you extend them enough so you have room to work. When I was done, I reinstalled the center brace, lowed the stand frame back onto the brace and went about my day. All in all it was a 2hr event and everything has been fine since.

Dave

nd31male
10/22/2010, 05:49 AM
I suppose that could be done on the side also if you find it easier to get it in from the side. i think the side or more for stability then support

Porcupinepuffer
10/22/2010, 05:06 PM
All the vertical pieces are structural support on these stands. There's no big framing anywhere inside. Since the only pieces of wood holding your tank are the cosmetic ones you see on the outside, that means cutting them will leave you with no support. Especially on the side/corners. If you want the easiest route, remove the vertical center brace either on the back or front.(just like that other guy did with the posted link to his removal) If you want to possibly watch your stand buckle with your tank crashing to the floor, then cut out a section on the side.

iamwrasseman
10/22/2010, 07:05 PM
remove half the water ,remove center brace and install the sump then reinstall the center brace and water ! done very easily

Thrashie
10/22/2010, 07:51 PM
I cut a hole on the side of my stand and made and opening so i could swap out sumps, and slapped a door on it...

but my stand is reinforced with 2x6 cypress frame so wasn't too worried about about anything moving.

nd31male
10/22/2010, 11:43 PM
If it works do it