PDA

View Full Version : Return pump options for a 280 gallon system

jaygalindo
07/11/2010, 12:10 AM
I need some help picking out a return pump for my 280 gallon system that will be going up this week. It will consist of 2 40 b's and 2 50b's. Sump will be a 100 gal stock tank.
It can be internal or external.
Would like to be able to have the option 2 add a couple more 40b's in the future.
Best bang for the buck is what I am looking for.

Thanks

jaygalindo
07/11/2010, 09:06 AM
Bump...I need some advice

Chris27
07/11/2010, 09:20 AM
Reeflo dart - good price, lot's of flow, quiet, reliable, etc...

I use a snapper on my 180 and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. The external motored pumps are great since calcium can't build up around the magnet.

jaygalindo
07/11/2010, 10:09 AM
thanks Chris that was one I was thinking about.

sjm817
07/11/2010, 01:18 PM
Maybe a Panworld 150PS. It is a high head pump that doesn't need huge plumbing to get good flow and will also handle lots of fittings and connections that you will have plumbing up lots of tanks.

jaygalindo
07/17/2010, 05:31 PM
bump...i definitly decided on external

jaygalindo
07/18/2010, 11:16 PM
what do you guys think about a dolphin ampmaster 2100. I have a chance to get one but its 5 years old.

mlb75
07/19/2010, 06:14 AM
Don't know anything about the Dolphin Ampmaster but I'd also throw in any of the larger pressure rated Bluelines. The dart would probably work great but head loss is going to add up with all the splits and with the pressure rated pumps that won't be a problem.

Good luck.

sjm817
07/19/2010, 07:33 AM
Blueline is a relabeled Panworld. They tend to be just a bit less expensive, so a good option.

viggen
07/19/2010, 07:47 AM
If noise is a concern I would do a dart/snapper

If you do not care about noise then the other pumps would work, also a few iwaki's could be used

tcwayne
07/19/2010, 07:58 AM
With that water volume I would not undersize with a dart or equivalent. Look into a barracuda or something in the 5000 to 6000gph range. That is the heart of your system and can always be throttled back if need be.

viggen
07/19/2010, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't do a barracuda or similar larger pump. Yes they flow 5-6K gallons however at 300-400w's of juice plus if your entire system is 280g your flow would be to high through the filters. Slow flow is better..... 2-4x's a hour is all that a tank needs through the filter.

If you want a closed loop system then go for a barracuda or a few vortex's/tunze's/whatever

GlassReef
07/19/2010, 05:52 PM
I'd tend to agree with viggen. Your choice of a pump should depend on a couple of things:

1. what are you keeping? If its SPS then you need lots of flow in the display. If not, then flow is not so important.

2. if it is SPS, how will you produce flow? If you'll be using streams or a closed loop, then you don't need to rely on a return pump for any of the display's flow.

If you don't need your return pump for flow then 4 to 8 times turnover per hour is plenty. With the average 4ft head, that puts you in a range between an Reeflo Snapper and a Dart. Both are great pumps - very economical to run and both very quiet. The price, up front, hurts a little, but the pain eases as soon as you notice what a great pump you have.

BTW: the only difference between a Snapper and a Dart is the impeller. You can get a Snapper impeller to slow down a Dart, without having to brake it.

I personally, would say a Barracuda is a bit of overkill for 280gals, but that's just my opinion. I can tell you, from experience, that the Barricuda is a loud pump - and it gets louder the longer you have it.

hatemeyet
07/19/2010, 05:58 PM
Hi,
I called chris at reeflo,he hooked me up with barracuda hybrid,They use less electricity produce the same amount of flow and come with 3 different propellers so you can upgrade or downgrade and the price was around $300.They havent hit the market yet,but if you give him a call he'll tell you more about it..Im extremly happy with mine and like the ablity to change the propellers to whatever flow I might need.