PDA

View Full Version : Help with lighting my 50g *pics*

cmoreland
07/11/2010, 01:26 PM
Hello, needed to get some of your opinions on what to do with my lighting situation. Currently I'm running (retrofit under canopy):

1 UVL Super Actinic
1 UVL Actinic White

Both are using high end ATI reflectors. I get pretty good light output for what I use...however my coral growth is next to nothing and the coloring is ok, but not nearly as nice as they should be IMO. The frogspawn, trumpets and hammer are all only slightly green when they should be eye-popping.

I'd like to add two more T5's but not sure what to get, perhaps a 10k and a ATI Blue+ bulb? That or I was going to order a retrofit strip of 12 LEDS to give some shimmer because my canopy is too short for Halides.

I'm open to anything and would really love to hear what you guys think!!

(sorry for the horrible FTS, my camera is a little old)

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7489/ftsb.jpg

and the whole tank (you can see the canopy would have to be cut to fit a halide in there)

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6264/tanksetup.jpg

NYCBOB
07/11/2010, 01:43 PM
i would go for the 12 3w led. if not, 2 ati aquablues would be nice too.

cmoreland
07/11/2010, 07:18 PM
i would go for the 12 3w led. if not, 2 ati aquablues would be nice too.

Think they would provide sufficient growth?

cmoreland
07/12/2010, 09:04 AM
/bump for anyone's opinions? Are LED's really good for growth and coloring or are they more for mood?

greech
07/12/2010, 09:35 AM
Have read multiple posts whare folks have mentioned good growth and color under LEDs but I have no personal experience. You are going to spend some money on proper LEDs with optics. Otherwise , your just adding a little color. If you are stuck on LEDs, your tank size might benefit from some Panorama LED Modules (not the stunner strips) but you would probably need a few which woudn't make that a cost effective choice. There are also the Powerbrite strips by Current.

Adding more T5's is probably the way to go. I don't believe the par on the bulbs you have is all that much. Adding a couple of ATI Blue+'s or 1 Blue+ and an Aquablue Special would probably make a big difference in terms of looks and growth. HTH