PDA

View Full Version : My Clowns Won't Host but My Damsel Does?

chris3_16
07/11/2010, 07:35 PM
I have two tank raised perculas that are not interested in any coral or anemone in my tank but the other day I bought a domino damsel and its already hosting in my long tentical anemone.

Is that weird? Is the damsel going to get hurt by the anemone?

balto777
07/11/2010, 07:51 PM
Clownfish are actually a relative of the damsel fish. I have heard of this happening before. I think if the damsel starts getting hurt by the anemones, it will hightail it out of there.

chris3_16
07/11/2010, 08:08 PM
so i guess i should be happy then. although i wish my percs would host something atleast my damsel did.

bues0022
07/11/2010, 08:54 PM
Both damsels and clownfish are in the same family of anemonefish. I don't think it's all that surprising.

What The?
07/11/2010, 10:21 PM
Both damsels and clownfish are in the same family of anemonefish. I don't think it's all that surprising.

yes their in the same family but only the domino damsels can be hosted by a anemone any other damsels will die.

GhostCon1
07/11/2010, 10:24 PM
yes their in the same family but only the domino damsels can be hosted by a anemone any other damsels will die.

Don't think this is true, as damsels are sometimes called anemonefish and I have see other damsels, not just dominos, in nems.

What The?
07/11/2010, 10:36 PM
Don't think this is true, as damsels are sometimes called anemonefish and I have see other damsels, not just dominos, in nems.

What other damsels? yellow tails and 3 and 4 stripe damsels wont go into a anemones.

GhostCon1
07/11/2010, 11:18 PM
What other damsels? yellow tails and 3 and 4 stripe damsels wont go into a anemones.

Do you know this for a fact? There are many things we perceive as fact about the ocean only to find out that later on it isn't true. Just because we haven't observed it in closed systems doesn't mean it hasn't happened in nature.

Also, they are from the damsel/anemonefish family, most of them can host in nems, as a matter of fact, I think I read that there are actually a few species that host in nems as juveniles.