PDA

View Full Version : Propagating Ricordia Yuma

angel_eyez84
07/11/2010, 09:23 PM
i'm wanting to try and propagate some of my yumas as they are not fast at growing. i'm used to cutting my florida rics... does anyone know if they fare as well as the florida's when cut, or what is the best way to split them myself? any suggestions welcome. thanks in advance!

FrankenReef
07/11/2010, 11:27 PM
I have tied a rubber band around my yumas and the rock they are attached to. They will usually split in a week or two. I never tried actually slicing one, though I'm sure that would work too.

angel_eyez84
07/12/2010, 10:30 AM
did you place the rubberband around the mouth or just part of the body?

Nemo's_Cacharro
07/12/2010, 11:52 AM
put them in a blender on slow. drop the sliced pieces in the tank and wait.

FrankenReef
07/12/2010, 10:00 PM
I just read a thread about a guy who sliced a pink yuma. He sliced from the mouth out twice and put the frags on top of calcium reactor media in his refugium. Apparently they prefer low light for awhile after they have been cut.

c.rob
07/13/2010, 12:56 PM
Power head blowing at mine made it move to the other side of a rock. It left babies behind that are growing out of the abandoned tissue.

austinh
07/13/2010, 06:40 PM
they do ok if they actually attach to something they just take a little longer to grow back to the circular appearance. i just cut them in half with a clean razor blade

angel_eyez84
07/13/2010, 08:23 PM
thanks for all the great replies! i guess i'm going to operate tomorrow...lol

FrankenReef
07/20/2010, 11:51 PM
Update? How did your yuma do?

angel_eyez84
07/25/2010, 08:36 PM
i pulled it out of the tank and was getting it ready to start cutting and i lifted up on and edge to see exactly where i was going to cut and there were 3 babies growing under it!!!:dance: so i decided to just leave it alone and let the others grow out... kind of a good thing cause i was SERIOUSLY starting to sweat thinking i was going to kill it!!! lol thanks for following the thread!

triguy
07/27/2010, 01:35 PM
That's great there were babies under it. I am having the same problem with my yuma, so I was thinking of fragging. Do you have to have part of the mouth in each frag? I know I had a florida ric that had no mouth and eventually it grew one. Will the yuma do the same?

angel_eyez84
08/04/2010, 09:37 PM
with my yuma i noticed it had walked a little to the right on its rock so i picked it up and low and behold under it and to the left a little there were 3 lil ones. im not sure if you have to cut through the mouth as i have never done it with a yuma, with my floridas i have just cut them where i wanted and never lost any... but ive heard yumas are alot harder so i dont know.

Timanator
08/11/2010, 12:21 PM
My green one drops babys often but the pink one never drops any.

:(