PDA

View Full Version : Rate I'm using Alk and Ca

triguy
07/11/2010, 10:36 PM
I just started using BRS dosing pumps for my 2 part BRS solution recipe 1. I bought these pumps used and dialed them in before using them on my tank (made sure they were working properly).

I have a 90g sps dominant tank, and I'm dosing 30ml of Ca twice a day, and what I thought was 30ml of Alk twice a day.

Problem was I noticed it was dosing my Alk more than the 30ml, so I back the timer off to 5 min. twice a day, but it still seems like I'm going through my Alk too quickly.

I have almost finished off a gallon in 1 week. If there are ~3785ml in a gallon, shouldn't I be getting about 50 days worth of dosing. Maybe my math is off and I'm hoping somebody can shed some light.

Water Parameters as of yesterday:
Mg 1420
Ca 420
Alk 9
PO4 .08
Temp. 82 (no chiller, just fans)

bertoni
07/12/2010, 12:09 AM
If the alkalinity is fine, and there's no signs of precipitation in the pumps or on the heaters, I wouldn't worry much. Many tanks drop 2 dKH per day, which is about 100 ml per day of the BRS high-pH two-part, assuming 70g of actual water in your system.

ksc
07/12/2010, 01:31 AM
What timer are you using? Many timers can't shut the dosing pumps off consistantly because of their low electrical draw. Here's some info I got from the manufacturer:
"Depends on the timers . if they use triacs then it may not draw enough power to trigger the shut off mechanism . If it is a relay then it will be fine. That’s why the outlets in the RK work, two are relays.

You can always plug something else inline with it like a small fan or night light so it draws more power : )"

triguy
07/12/2010, 09:22 AM
What timer are you using? Many timers can't shut the dosing pumps off consistantly because of their low electrical draw. Here's some info I got from the manufacturer:
"Depends on the timers . if they use triacs then it may not draw enough power to trigger the shut off mechanism . If it is a relay then it will be fine. That’s why the outlets in the RK work, two are relays.

You can always plug something else inline with it like a small fan or night light so it draws more power : )"

They are both plug in to a ReefKeeper (older moldel), which I also bought used. It is turning off an on without any problems using it as a multitimer. I also forgot to mention that I have the BRS pumps that dose at 1.1ml/min.

ksc
07/12/2010, 11:27 AM
Are you sure you didn't get the 50ml/min BRS doser by mistake? If you are going through a gallon a week, 50ml X 10 minutes = 500ml/day. 500ml X 7= 3500ml, about a gallon a week......

TheH
07/12/2010, 11:31 AM
60ml/day should only be around 0.1gallons/week, so it is probably overdosing. Or maybe the alkalinity solution is evaporating?

TheH
07/12/2010, 11:32 AM
Good point ksc.

Toadally
07/12/2010, 11:42 AM
I agree, you might have the wrong doser installed. I have the same setup as you. Both my pumps are set on the same timer and come on for 35 seconds every 40 mintues around the clock. This keeps my levels up and constant without any swings. As of right now I'm not using the dosers because I use kalk in my topoff and have increased the evap rate because of the summer heat. It's keeping the levels up just fine without 2 part. hth's

PGUY1
07/12/2010, 12:41 PM
Hey triguy, it's PGUY! I have mine on a reefkeeper also. Because of low current draw they need to be plugged into plugs 1 or 4. Plugs 2 and 3 will not turn off consistently with that low of a current. Make sure they are on 1 and 4.

triguy
07/12/2010, 09:01 PM
Are you sure you didn't get the 50ml/min BRS doser by mistake? If you are going through a gallon a week, 50ml X 10 minutes = 500ml/day. 500ml X 7= 3500ml, about a gallon a week......

Before I ran these in my tank, I tested them into the BRS measuring cups to make sure I dialed in the correct amount. I started at 30 min. thinking 1.1ml/min would get me close to 30ml, but in fact it was up around 70ml. I kept adjusting the amount of time down until I got to 30ml. If they were the 50ml/min, I would have been getting much more.

Hey triguy, it's PGUY! I have mine on a reefkeeper also. Because of low current draw they need to be plugged into plugs 1 or 4. Plugs 2 and 3 will not turn off consistently with that low of a current. Make sure they are on 1 and 4.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try this, but before I do I want to make sure I'm telling you the correct controller. I just checked and it is an older Reefkeeper II. There are 8 outlets. 2 and 6 will only stay on-malfunctioning. 4 and 8 are the relay channels, so I have my lights on these. Currently my Alk is on #5 and Ca is on #7

I will test again in the morning.

dan3949
07/12/2010, 09:43 PM
Another solution to the low current (low power factor) issue with the Reefkeeper outlets is to use a multistrip surge protector plugged into the Reefkeeper outlet (plug your pumps into the surge protector power strip). This will resolve the problem and you can use any plug for low current devices.

triguy
07/19/2010, 11:25 AM
Another solution to the low current (low power factor) issue with the Reefkeeper outlets is to use a multistrip surge protector plugged into the Reefkeeper outlet (plug your pumps into the surge protector power strip). This will resolve the problem and you can use any plug for low current devices.

I would like to try to avoid using powerstrips. I have the 8 outlet Reefkeeper II. I can try and switch my lights and BRS pumps, but then my lights wouldn't shut off, right?

I did notice that the pumps are not shutting off according to the timers. They were when I tested before using in my tank. Any other ideas on how to plug my equipment in so it works properly?

bertoni
07/20/2010, 02:41 PM
No takers?

Sorry, I haven't used that equipment. I used Intermatic digital timers from Home Depot.

PGUY1
07/21/2010, 12:03 PM
I've got an RKL. So for the RKII I went to the Digital Aquatics forum and I quote..." Channels 4 and 8 are true mechanical relays which will turn ON/OFF with low power devices. All other channels are triac relays that sometimes won't release properly on low power devices. " Plug the dosing pumps into 4 and 8 and your lights and other high draw stuff into the other plugs. That way the pumps will turn off properly.

triguy
07/21/2010, 01:02 PM
I've got an RKL. So for the RKII I went to the Digital Aquatics forum and I quote..." Channels 4 and 8 are true mechanical relays which will turn ON/OFF with low power devices. All other channels are triac relays that sometimes won't release properly on low power devices. " Plug the dosing pumps into 4 and 8 and your lights and other high draw stuff into the other plugs. That way the pumps will turn off properly.

Thanks for the reply. I also posted this problem on their website and I got the same information, so I will switch the plugs around and hopefully all will be good.