PDA

View Full Version : Coral's closing, something seems different. Help please

Create
07/12/2010, 09:20 AM
Greetings,

I have a 29 gallon reef tank that is about 6 1/2 months old and I have been seeing some odd behavior the past week.

Here are the current readings:

Nitrate: 0
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
SG: 1.023
ph: 8.3
Temp: 78-80 (during day)

About two weeks ago I added a 5 inch Devils Hand leather. along with a small red polyp frag. Both of these are doing well. However I noticed at the end of last week that one of my polyp colonies was about 80% closed. This has progressively gotten worse. I did a 10% water change on Saturday.

On sunday I decided to get rid of the glass lid and put in egg crate. To make sure it wasn't getting too hot and that it could evaporate to help it cool. I dont think it has ever gotten past 82 degrees. I purchased a glass thermometer to make sure mine wasnt off. It isn't.

Today I noticed (1 day after egg crate) that one of my two duncans will not open as much as normal, and that my green lobos doesn't look as puffy. Is this due to the light adjustment? I think they are getting better light now because the glass lid used to always get condensation and look cloudy. The colors pop a lot better with the egg crate.

Other info on the tank:

- 29 gallon display
- Medium sized CPR Hang on Back skimmer/refugium. (add chaeto about 1 week ago, before any of this started happening)
- fluval 205 canister filter, I change carbon every 3 weeks
- koralia 1
- Wavepoint T5 lights. 2 x 12K, 2 x 460 actinics
- fish: 2 false perc. clowns

Thanks for any help. Let me know what other test kits I should get, I have API tests.

Ben

Reefman29
07/12/2010, 09:23 AM
Do you have any fish in the tank? They could be harassing the coral. Maybe shrimp, crabs, or starfish

thegrun
07/12/2010, 09:41 AM
Some species of Devils Hand leather will poison SPS corals (they release toxins), but I have never heard of them affecting other soft corals. Some type of poisoning does sound like a possible suspect here.

sslak
07/12/2010, 09:59 AM
Has the SG always been 1.023?

Most people with reef tanks generally aim for 1.025-1.026 so you're just a tad low.

Anything else change? Dosing anything? New equipment?

greech
07/12/2010, 10:30 AM
If your glass lids were coated with salt creep, etc., the lighting could be a culprit. Have read about leathers poisoning stoney corals such as the LPS you mentioned. 1.023 is a bit low.

Create
07/12/2010, 11:06 AM
I can move the LPS polyps that have been closed for the past few days. They are pretty close to the leather. Should I get rid of the leather? I only have LPS stuff in my tank, and I have very little. 3 or 4 differnet polyp colonies, a pair of duncans, the neon green brain. I do have a branching hammer that is doing well. All of the polyps are doing well, minus the one set which is about 5-7 inches lower in the tank than the leather.

I will work on bringing up the SG slowly.

As far as changes, the only changes I made were in the original post.

I am dosing Kent Marine Trace Elements every two weeks, but that is all.

Create
07/12/2010, 11:52 AM
I just spoke to my wife. She said my duncans are fully opened now and the brain coral looks better. I am guessing they both were just adjusting to the new light.

The only issue I have now is the polyps that are closed that are near the leather.

The plan of attack is to move them, and then slowly get my SG back up. Would dipping them help if they were poisoned? probably not?

Thanks for the help guys.

greech
07/12/2010, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't dip them, just move them and see how things go over the new few days. It would be helpfu to know what the "polyps" are. Are they zoanthids by chance?

Create
07/12/2010, 01:00 PM
Sorry,

They are zoas:

Wham'n Watermelon Zoas

I got them from the diver's den at liveaquaria 6 weeks ago or so.