PDA

View Full Version : No luck catching my hitchhiker mantis

sumfingwong
07/12/2010, 02:04 PM
I have tried isolating the LR into a bucket and followed this link:

http://www.mantisshrimps.co.uk/articles/removal.php

I tried the squirt method, the water in the container was prepped water. I tried shaking it violently in SW, then I squirted the holes with carbonated water. I was able to force out some amphipods (lots) but no mantis :(

My little brother ended up taking the LR and smashing it into 4 pieces, and there was no sign of him. Right before I picked up the LR.. we fed the tank and we saw the little bugger stick his head out. Not even 10 secs later, I lifted the LR out with a net under it, in case he tried to run.

After farting around with the rock for a good 30 minutes, I placed the 4 pieces of LR back into the tank, and I placed a bottle trap under the LR (nothing in the bottle this AM)

Im waiting till tonight to see if he sticks his head out during feeding.

Koshmar
07/12/2010, 05:40 PM
Search for a tread titled "how to catch a mantis in your reef" by thurge

jolson10450
07/20/2010, 08:50 AM
freshwater dip it for 10-30 minutes and he should come running out.

Thurge
07/20/2010, 11:11 AM
Unless its one of the many species that have evolved to handle extremes in salinity. Then it might just hunker down for an hour or more, while everything else on the live rock smokes out.

My how to catch a mantis, thread has been stickied.

ritter6788
07/20/2010, 01:33 PM

:dance:

Koshmar
07/20/2010, 03:08 PM

OMG... Finally!

EaZy DuZ iT
07/21/2010, 03:31 PM
Look this is how i did it.. Get a type of tong, and with the ton hold a hermit crab or something. Wiggle it in front of the hole in the rock hes in, if it seems like he doesnt want it, force it, force it towards him until he feels uncomfrotable and he will come out. Im sure he has more than 1 entrance into the cave. This method worked for me.