PDA

View Full Version : Opinion need on modified PVC Overflow

SuperNemo
07/12/2010, 05:46 PM
Hey guys/gals,

Been working on a modified version of the DIY PVC Overflow which has been discussed previously in detail on this board.

Essentially, I have removed the two 90s and riser tube (which water overflows into) and replaced it with a larger diamiter overflow chamber/tube which water is being overflowed into from the tank and then removed via the PVC Overflow. I have attached two pictures from different prospectives which hopefully can show the changes. It seems to be clearner than having two 90s and a riser tube in the tank. The spacing of the items are obviously close together, but was thinking of spreading it out to each corner of the tank. It almost seems like I have an overflow.

Please provide some input as to the feasability and operations of the modified PVC overflow.

The Tee on top will have values instead of check values for removing the air.

Jim

MrRyanT
07/12/2010, 07:37 PM
Looks to me like it will lose siphon when the water stops flowing, i.e. power outage. It needs a u shape inside the the overflow box to prevent this from happening.

SuperNemo
07/12/2010, 09:15 PM
ryan, it wont loose siphon. the u shaped portion of the pvc overflow is being done by the larger diamiter pipe. The u shape works by holding water to prevent tha siphon break, and the larger diamiter pipe is similar. It will hold the same water that the u shape.

any other opinions.