PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

xlayedoutx
07/13/2010, 01:22 AM
So the tank is up and running, done with the cycle, everything looking great and then I notice tonight that about half the rock has bryopsis growing on it . No corals and no fish yet, just snails and crabs. So what can I do to get rid of this without getting rid of all the rock and starting over? I say all the rock because by now I'm sure most of it will have some. It's some of the best looking rock I've been able to get my hands on locally as well .

glextank
07/13/2010, 01:28 AM
I recently read that getting your magnesium up to 15-1600 will kill it. And blow all the rock off with a turkey baster, all the time.
I bought a frag with some on there, and when I read what you have to do to get rid of it, I just returned the frag. That stuff sucks.

Avi
07/13/2010, 06:53 AM
I've found that while bryopsis can without doubt be very stubborn and persistent, it will disappear if you maintain a consistent alkalinity of 9-10 or higher without any dips below that. Of course, do increased water changes using only RO/DI and use a high-quality phosphate-removing medium in a phosphate-reactor. Eventually, you will beat it and it isn't really necessary to start all over again if you persevere.

reefbro
07/13/2010, 07:01 AM
I have taken a piece of rock out that had it and used a propane torch on it. Then scrubbed off the char. Worked great never seen it again.

jformani
07/13/2010, 07:07 AM
Do a search and read about bryopsis. I had some when I started up my tank, it was everywhere. I dosed Kent Magnesium to 1900 ppm and in a week it was gone. Only way I know to get rid of it.

bertoni
07/13/2010, 11:46 AM
Some people do have success with Kent Tech-M. I'd probably start with some GFO, and see how it goes, but I've been fairly luck with pest algae. Spending a few minutes a week harvesting what you can easily get can help some, too.

CorkPullerPHL
07/13/2010, 12:58 PM
Good Luck. Bryopsis was public enemy number one in my first tank....

lex211
07/13/2010, 01:17 PM
The only thing that works is tech M,that's how i got rid of mine then Iran out of Tech M started to use BRS mag well i just noticed a couple of strands of it the other day,so back to Tech M . If i were you the rock that has it on i would take it out ,because that stuff can be a problem.That's is from first hand EXP

Lothar

Gobie74
08/19/2010, 04:43 AM
I just did the 'raise mag to 1600' thing and so far its working great. Combination of Tech M and regular Mag Chloride and Mag Sulfate. I'm at about 1650 now and the bryopsis is disappearing fast. Give it a try.

eskymick
08/19/2010, 06:44 AM
I once had an outbreak of Bryopsis, and I used Tech-M to raise the mag to 1600+. While dosing, I used a turkey baster to apply some Tech-M directly onto the areas of the reef infested with Bryopsis. Within a couple weeks it was all gone.

Runfrumu
08/19/2010, 06:51 AM
I kept my nutrients in check, started dosing prodibio and using gfo, and removed manually to beat it.

Just pray you never get a burgandy colored turf type algae. I beat it too in my 125, but not my 35. Only good thing with it is larger sized sea hares will eat it, although smaller ones wont.

JMaxwell
08/19/2010, 12:32 PM
So the tank is up and running, done with the cycle, everything looking great and then I notice tonight that about half the rock has bryopsis growing on it . No corals and no fish yet, just snails and crabs. So what can I do to get rid of this without getting rid of all the rock and starting over? I say all the rock because by now I'm sure most of it will have some. It's some of the best looking rock I've been able to get my hands on locally as well .

+1 on the Kent Tech-M to elevate Mag levels. My reading suggested that it may not be the Magnesium itself but some other trace items in that particular product. I had other Magnesium supplements, but I bought a bunch of Kent Tech-M and dosed it over a week. Took a couple of weeks for all the Bryopsis to die, but die it did. Hasn't come back. Its been about 6 months.