PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions, restocking a 46 gal.

mvogel8366
07/13/2010, 06:02 AM
Late last summer I had a period where all but 2 fish died. 1 jumped (not sure when, I do have a lid, my dog was sniffing around behind tank and I thought his ball rolled back there and thats when I found it) then over a period of about 6 weeks the others died, I only found one before the CUC "Cleaned them up" and it didn't have any signs of illness I could SEE.

Anyway the tank has been stable now for a good 9 months with no other deaths or problems. The tank is 2 years old total and I am planning on restocking and starting to add a few corals as well. Here is the current line-up.

46 gal bowfront, 55 lbs. live rock, 1.5 inch sand bed.

Fish: one pair Ocellaris Clowns (from original stocking scheme)

CUC: about 6-8 hermits, a mix nas. and cerith snails about a dozen, a pair of coral banded shrimp.

Also 1 very tiny feather duster that hitchhiked in on rock.

Any suggestions on new tankmates for the clowns?

Thanks in advance

timmytimtim
07/13/2010, 07:45 AM
A couple good community fish are blue/green chromis, and bangaii cardinals or pajama cardinals. The Coral banded can be aggressive...I would only go with one in a 46 gallon (if any at all). I have a coral banded and I don't see it ever cleaning anything (unless you count taking food from corals as cleaning)...and he goes after my chromis any chance he gets. I'd ditch the coral banded and add more hermits and a few turbo snails. A sally lightfoot crab is also great for a scavanger....mine eats anything that has died, any poop and some algae, and never bothers any fish. I have a couple in both my tanks.