PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Cleaning Made Easy

cakemanPA
07/13/2010, 02:59 PM
Ok a little lead up on the cleaning discovery (at least for me)...

I was away for vacation for a week. I did all sorts of pre-trip planning. But due to some family issues and work issues, I did not get to really scrape my tanks clean before I left. My tank had tons of hard green algae and coralline all over it. I use an Algae Free magnet on it for getting the easy stuff off. Usually I use a plastic scraper to get the rest. I will also use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser also. The scraping just plain sucks. So I decided to try to combine the magnet with the Mr Clean Erase. I could not get velcro to stick to the eraser. I tried it without the velcro but the eraser was too thick. So I finally cut the eraser in half width thickness with a razor blade. That did the trick... The magnet kept enough pressure on the eraser to let it do its job. I was able to completely clean my 120 acrylic tank in 15 minutes. The only place that I did not use the eraser/magnet combo was at the sand line. I moved the sand back and the cleaned it with the eraser by hand. I am actually going to do this on my glass tank next.

Indymann99
07/13/2010, 06:35 PM
I did the same thing this weekend. :thumbsup:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/mrcleanmagnet.jpg

cut Mr Clean pad down the middle (easy with old serrated steak knife) and just sandwich between the magnet.

I will flip the pad for the next usage.. thats 4 weeks of cleaning (usually Sat morning) per Mr clean pad.

Works like a charm... my new preferred method! :beer:

speedo2wet
10/24/2010, 01:30 PM
Thats awesome, I love it. I'm getting ready to switch over to an acrylic tank and exchange my reef. I will definetly try your method.

lordofthereef
10/24/2010, 02:10 PM
Yep. Been doing this a while now. I too am happy with the results! I use an algae free tiger shark. Magic eraser pads do a much better job than their acrylic safe replacement pads.

tozzi
10/24/2010, 02:14 PM
What is the mr clean eraser pad? Like the bald guy, mr clean? U get these in the food store?

preef
10/24/2010, 02:22 PM
What is the mr clean eraser pad? Like the bald guy, mr clean? U get these in the food store?

lol. Yup the bald guy.
http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

Get them at your grocery store, Wal mart, etc...

tozzi
10/24/2010, 02:28 PM
And thats safe to use in the tank? Wow, how does one find out that its safe to use?

OwenInAZ
10/24/2010, 02:52 PM
And thats safe to use in the tank? Wow, how does one find out that its safe to use?

Only one way to find out :)

tozzi
10/24/2010, 03:53 PM
Thats what i was afraid you'd say! LOL

jbird69
10/24/2010, 08:35 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1890093 :)

PaulieReef
10/24/2010, 09:07 PM
Wait wait wait.. you use mr clean eraser pads INSIDE your tank??

njdevilsfan
10/24/2010, 11:18 PM

like the other thread yes
we have been using them them for over 3 years
not only does wipe out algea it polishes the acrylic

cakemanPA
10/25/2010, 06:51 AM

Yes I do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noahm
10/25/2010, 07:46 AM
Just make sure to buy the original with no cleanser added. I like this method as well, but my mag float tends to partially lose the pad when I snap it around the corner. Maybe a few drops of superglue...

tozzi
10/25/2010, 11:06 AM
Just make sure to buy the original with no cleanser added. I like this method as well, but my mag float tends to partially lose the pad when I snap it around the corner. Maybe a few drops of superglue...

Imagine a world without super glue and duct tape!

jbird69
10/25/2010, 11:43 AM
but my mag float tends to partially lose the pad when I snap it around the corner. Maybe a few drops of superglue...

This is the only downside Ive experienced. Its amazing on the tougher algae you can work it in circles for a while and it even cuts thru the early green stage of coraline!

PurpleMonster
10/25/2010, 07:23 PM
interesting i use to use the mr clean pads a while back but stopped when i got the Magnavore ER with acrylic pads, but i do miss mr clean lol.... i have actually scratched up my tank with some micro particles that somehow got under the pad... mind you i steer about 4" above the sand. I use plastic scraper once a week to get the lower 4"..... Mr. Clean im going back to you! lol

truebeliever71
11/03/2010, 07:13 PM
Has anyone tried emptying their tanks after using these to see what the glass looks like? I have used the Magic Erasers before on my motorcycle when some idiot decided to write all over it with a paint pen and it really dulled the finish.