PDA

View Full Version : Tearing down my tank..

kimmi.kim
07/13/2010, 03:35 PM
Hi, I've been battling green hair algae for 2 years now, and it just keeps growing and growing and i have finally given up. I've sold my fish and all corals, but now i want to sell my live rock. The live rock has green hair algae and aiptasia, so how can I clean this all off so that the person i sell my rocks to wont get my troubles?

Thanks,
Kim

Pure Magic79
07/13/2010, 04:18 PM
You can dry the live rock out in the sun for a couple of weeks. Then it becomes dead though or base rock. I feel bad you had to go through all this trouble. Good luck in the future.

outy
07/13/2010, 04:30 PM
You can dry the live rock out in the sun for a couple of weeks. Then it becomes dead though or base rock. I feel bad you had to go through all this trouble. Good luck in the future.

wrong advise.

you take the "live" rock and keep it live...... put the rock in a trash can with fresh saltwater and a powerhead kept in the dark [lid on] and either run FGO or change water out to get rid of extra phosphates in the LR.

in your case, storing the LR in fresh saltwater with a powerhead in the dark will eliminate any unwanted algea. OR simply turning tank lights off might do the trick.

using ro/di water, wet skimming and running GFO and a fuge with chaeto and manual removal will generaly will keep unwanted algea at bay.

Agu
07/13/2010, 05:52 PM
wrong advise.

you take the "live" rock and keep it live...... put the rock in a trash can with fresh saltwater and a powerhead kept in the dark [lid on] and either run FGO or change water out to get rid of extra phosphates in the LR.

in your case, storing the LR in fresh saltwater with a powerhead in the dark will eliminate any unwanted algea. OR simply turning tank lights off might do the trick.

using ro/di water, wet skimming and running GFO and a fuge with chaeto and manual removal will generaly will keep unwanted algea at bay.

Sorry but I have to disagree, he also has aiptasia. I put a single aiptasia in a bucket with two gallons of saltwater. No flow, no top off, no light and the temp in my garage exceeds 95 degrees F every day. Three months later the aiptasia is shrunken and bleached but it's still alive.

Dry and sun bleach the rock. Then thoroughly rinse it with a sprayer to remove detritus before selling it as base rock.