PDA

View Full Version : dead snails

bogd19
07/13/2010, 05:33 PM
I started a 29 galloon tank about 4 weeks ago. i just had 2 snails die on me. Everything else is fine. 3 shrimp 7 crab and 2 clown fish. Also I noticed black lines on my xenia coral. Any ideas on that? thanks

muttley000
07/13/2010, 05:57 PM
I have an idea that there is no whay this much should be in your tank at 4 weeks! What kind of snails were they? Do you test your water, and if so what kind of numbers do you have. Also were the snails recent additions?

bogd19
07/13/2010, 06:05 PM
I test the water and everything is at zero the snails have been in the longest. Everything else and the fish seem to be fine. The xenia is pulsing away fine except now I noticed a black line on some of the petals

zachfishman
07/14/2010, 07:02 AM
I started a 29 gallon tank about 4 weeks ago. i just had 2 snails die on me. Everything else is fine. 3 shrimp 7 crab and 2 clown fish. Also I noticed black lines on my xenia coral. Any ideas on that? thanks

Stress is stress. I imaging plenty happens in a cycling tank besides just the initial spikes in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I need to keep reminding myself this, as I'm very tempted to add corals and inverts to my two-week old 29.

I recommend holding off on new livestock for a while, and keeping an eye on how your temperature, pH, and alkalinity behave over the course of the day - as well as what your pH and alk do when you dose kalk or buffer. I'd test in the AM as the lights come on, and again at the end of the day when they turn off. In such a small volume of water, you may be surprised at the variation.

Allmost
07/14/2010, 09:57 AM
snails are sensitive to change in PH, oxygen levels and SG