PDA

View Full Version : Blasto colony receeding

megatsea
07/13/2010, 06:24 PM
I have a nice blasto colony with the larger polyp receding, turning white, and mouth open showing the skeleton for the last week. Now 2 other attached polyps showing signs of receding as well. On bottom corner of tank.
My heater died last week, didn't notice for at least 2 days.. temp went from 79 to 75 degrees. 10 gallon tank....none of the other corals, blastos etc show distress....A few weeks back I notice a pair of antennae sticking out from under the Blasto rock....and I have many bristle worms crawling about in the area...any of the above a possibility of the decline of my Blasto?
Pic is below. I have read past threads of similar problems...will try to isolate and move to my 20 gallow low lights? Only 36 watts pc , will that help a bit ?

Thankyou.

megatsea
07/13/2010, 07:00 PM
www.flickr.com/photos/52035859@N02/

megatsea
07/14/2010, 04:31 PM
There is a clearish bristle type filament(like a stinger)that coils out and retracts in before and after lights out...it is under inside the rock that the colony is on...I tried pulling it with tongs and no luck. Its almost 1.5 inches when extended, sweeping out, not at the blastos....is this possibly the cause?
I have cut off the worst part of the decaying blastos and took it home to my 20 gallon with onlt 36watt lights in case theres a slight chance it will live.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Patrick F
07/17/2010, 12:06 PM
Hello,

I'm afraid I can't be of a tremendous help about your coral problem but perhaps posting some of your water parameters would aid us in your solution to why the blasto is suffering.

In regards to the animal your reporting it does sound similar to perhaps this animal of the family Chaetopteridae genus Phyllochaetopterus. Do a search and if it matches the suggestion I provided it is completely reef safe. More often then not most animals located in the aquarium are completely harmless.

Cheers,

Patrick

snorvich
07/17/2010, 02:43 PM
Yes, water parameters are always a good thing. In general, they like low light, low flow. I feed once a week.

megatsea
07/17/2010, 04:55 PM
I do a 2 to 3 gallon wc each week...water tests are fine...4 other Blasto colonies are Merlettis, not Mussa, but doing very well. Coraline showing up. Tank , cuc, and fish healthy and happy.
The flow was fine , Blasto opened and ate when target fed....
I took the remaining receeding Blasto home, cut away 2 polyps and they are fine high up for now as I have very low actinic/marine glo 36 watt lights on the 20g....
So sad, it was my favorite- and $80- first time I spent over $20 for a coral....
So I was not sure if it was possible lack of heat,shock or unknown parasite did it in.Not near any other coral that would sting it.
Will there be hope it might spark a comeback ? It was a great color for my tank.
Thankyou:)

snorvich
07/17/2010, 07:56 PM
I also dip all LPS in Revive. Did you do any prophylactic treatment?

megatsea
07/18/2010, 09:15 AM
It was dipped before it went into the tank,acclimated and doing well for 3 months.
My other blastos have new polyps forming....
When the skeleton becomes fully visible from die off, I will redip and put back into the 10 gallon and see if there is hope for new growth.
Wish I had taken a frag of it before its demise. It was red and very nice. My others are all green.
Thankyou everyone.

mscarpena
07/18/2010, 12:44 PM
Blasto wellsi can be a bit touchy. Sorry for the loss. If there was some for of worm or some thing there to irritate it that could be what caused it.

megatsea
07/18/2010, 06:12 PM
The fellow I bought it from mentioned the same thing about irritation. I found a nice size black slug
with white spots crawling around yesterday...wondering if he made its way around the Wellsi or living inside the rock?
I was rather attached to it, and feel I let it down, anyways wish I could figure it out.....I have a ton of pods, bristleworms and unknown critters in the tank... I blamed the temp swing as my first guess....

megatsea
07/19/2010, 06:39 PM
Miday today, notice another Blasto receeding, and took it home to my 20 gallon to isloate...lower flow, lower lights.

Patrick F
07/21/2010, 02:19 PM
hello megatsea,

Are you having continous temp swings of 75-79 or are they getting more varied in there fluctuations?

What are you doing to attempt to stablize the temperature on this tank to promote a more stable temperature?

Patrick

megatsea
07/21/2010, 06:47 PM
Tank is steady at 79 degrees.
I called the fellow yesterday that I purchased the colony from. He has lost 3 frags now himself out of five. He is clueless....and fairly knowledgeable. I am holding off from buying a Duncan I picked out....
I am hoping it is isolated to B Mussa only. ...time will tell.
I will keep everyone updated in case I am not the only one with a Blasto mystery illness.

zachfishman
07/22/2010, 09:07 AM
Blasto wellsi can be a bit touchy.

+1 I usually see a few wellsi polyps receding in most LFS. That's why I'll be sticking with merletti for my 29; they seem to be hardier.

megatsea
07/22/2010, 09:24 AM
My Merlettis show no signs yet...I am hoping it is isolated to Wellsi...

ingtar_shinowa
07/22/2010, 03:51 PM
had the same thing happen to mine, although they were hit by an evil peppermint shrimp. Dumped the empty skelleton in my 46 bowfront under two PC bulbs and its back and healthy. No clue as to why, since i never have done water changes or tests on that tank. Its wierd how the act in tanks.

megatsea
07/22/2010, 06:53 PM
I left mine , almost empty skeleton in my older tank-pc lights, too. Hoping if I raise them slowly, might have new life come back...
I don't feel alone in the matter or so guilty, now. Thanks everyone for sharing.

mscarpena
07/22/2010, 08:25 PM
I have heard of a new condition happening with Blasto Welsis. It seems to be some sort of infection where one will be fine for a while then a new one is introduced and dies. Then the other colony will die some time later. I hope not and no one really seems to be sure, but I have read a few post recently on this board.

megatsea
07/23/2010, 04:12 PM
Yes, one retailer has told me he has lost several colonies as well....but a few frags have survived.
There was a thread on this in '08 that I found.....mine was such a sweet looking Blasto, too:(