PDA

View Full Version : Location

scholls22
07/13/2010, 07:00 PM
How much of a temp change can take place at a time? I want to set up my tank approx 3 feet away from a gas fireplace...Would that be too close?

mike_cmu04
07/13/2010, 07:43 PM
I would not risk it because if it heats your tank even a few degrees a hour it could cause stress and losses. Also i would be worried about the glass getting hot and cracking or acrylic melting.

thegrun
07/13/2010, 09:38 PM
I would think 3' from a gas fireplace would not be a problem. Gas fireplaces do not radiate that much heat. A 3-4 degree change in temperature is not a big deal over a few hours, all at once would be. Put a gallon jug of water where you want the tank, run the fireplace for a couple of hours and see what happens.

domb54
07/14/2010, 10:24 AM
have had a tank several feet away from a wood burning fire place and have had no problems at all obviously check on temp change before and after. kind of like day and night in the ocean water temps change over time no big deal as long as it not extreme in short amount of time

MCCOOL
07/14/2010, 10:40 AM
<5 degree temp swings won't hurt anything, as long as the fireplace isn't heating it past ~86 I wouldn't worry.