PDA

View Full Version : DIY stand plywood top?

Chago09
07/13/2010, 07:11 PM
do you really require a sheet of plywood on the top of the stand? I made my stand using the common thread everyone uses on here for DIY stands. My tank is a 6' x 2' 180 gallon. So I used 2x8 frame for the top and 2 x 4 for the base frame. Then 2x4 on the four corners. My questions are

Do I need center supports for this or am I already overbuilt?

Do I need plywood at the top? what does that do for me? can't I just put the tank on the 2 x 8 frame directly?

Thanks

mike_cmu04
07/13/2010, 07:45 PM
You will not need a plywood top but i would put some 2x4's up and down in at least the middle for supports so there is more than just the corners.

The Punisher
07/13/2010, 09:42 PM
Whether or not you need a plywood top depends on what type of tank you have. If it's a regular off the shelf glass tank then you don't.

Sharpie_
07/13/2010, 10:13 PM
+1 to the not needed, and if you read through the thread yes your stand is fine. If your tank has trim the raises the bottom up nothing more then styro is needed on top.

reefermad619
07/13/2010, 10:21 PM
If the tank is rimmed on the bottom, nothing is needed underneath. Plywood will help if the tank doesn't sit fush all the way around. I had this problem with my build. The tank had some small gaps when it was just on the 2 x 4 edge. I placed some 3/4" ply under the tank and the gaps just about disapeard. The severity of gaps depends on the quality of wood you used. I used HD wood, so good, but not the best. I was told by Uncleof6 that a glass rimmed tank only needs to have the 4 courners sitting flush on the stand. Of course the more flush the better and the less gaps the better, but as long as the corners are flush, you should be OK.