PDA

View Full Version : I want to spread out my vodka dosing

SDguy
07/14/2010, 07:36 AM
I've been vodka dosing for a while now. My tank generally takes a consistent 30-40mL per day. I'd like to space this out, and not have to worry about it every day.

I can use my AC Jr, and a dosing pump (Aqua Lifter would suffice? Or a Drew's doser from BRS?).

How should I set the schedule? Over an 8 hour period only while lights are on? 8 hours starting a certain time into the light cycle? Just the full 24hrs?

Thanks for any input.

MCCOOL
07/14/2010, 11:00 AM
mine is setup with an aqualifter with a valve attached and a timer set to run for 15 minutes, a couple times a day. (with the valve set properly, I get about 5ml in the 15min) with the AC jr. you could set it up to run numerous times a day, in very small increments. (i'm assuming here, I have no experience with aquacotrollers)

mine dispenses only during the day, but I don't see it making much difference if it was at night. I'd space the doses out evenly over 24hrs.

Allmost
07/14/2010, 12:34 PM
mine is setup with an aqualifter with a valve attached and a timer set to run for 15 minutes, a couple times a day. (with the valve set properly, I get about 5ml in the 15min) with the AC jr. you could set it up to run numerous times a day, in very small increments. (i'm assuming here, I have no experience with aquacotrollers)

mine dispenses only during the day, but I don't see it making much difference if it was at night. I'd space the doses out evenly over 24hrs.

aqualifters are not precise though, I use them for my dosing too, but delute the solution so if over dose nothing bad happens.,

MCCOOL
07/14/2010, 12:46 PM
I agree the aqualifters are not 100% precise, but after numerous test runs with the valve, it always came to within 1-2ml of my target, which is close enough for me. can you dillute vodka without adverse effects? will bacteria growth in the vodka become an issue? I have no idea.

Allmost
07/14/2010, 12:51 PM
I agree the aqualifters are not 100% precise, but after numerous test runs with the valve, it always came to within 1-2ml of my target, which is close enough for me. can you dillute vodka without adverse effects? will bacteria growth in the vodka become an issue? I have no idea.

well I dose Zeostar2 (vodka and vineager) and those can be diluted so I guess vodka can too, there is no bacteria in vodka, carbon comes from the sugar in it (ethanol)

the Issue I had with valves was that ( I used it for KH dosing) and after a couple days the valve would clogg up and not let any liquid pass through so ... lol guess u wont have that with vodka

MCCOOL
07/14/2010, 01:07 PM
yeah, for my Alk and Ca supplements, I use the restrictors from IV drips, they go on the outside of the tubing to prevent clogging.

I know there isn't bacteria in vodka, but didn't know if bacteria could start growing once it was diluted.

bertoni
07/14/2010, 03:58 PM
If the vodka is diluted enough, bacteria will start consuming the alcohol. I wouldn't dilute it very much.

tmz
07/14/2010, 04:47 PM
I dosed it for a while via my kalk reservoir and liter meter pump.. The high ph in there thwarts bacterial growth. However, I seemed to get cyano with a spread out dose. I returned to dosing in the am and pm in bulk.

SDguy
07/14/2010, 04:57 PM
Interesting replies, thanks. I'm not overly concerned about precision (my dosing is pretty atrocious as is :o ), so the aqualifter I think would suffice. At $15, no biggie if I have to replace it with something better. What are the valves for? Does it need to be kept primed or something (never used one)?

Now that I think about it, I may space out the dosing to not be during feeding times, since those times the skimmer head can be non-existent. Thoughts?

MCCOOL
07/14/2010, 05:12 PM
The valve on mine is just to cut the flow back, I don't have an aquacontroller, and my timer only has 15 min. intervals. If I let the aqualifter, pump unrestricted, it would pump about half a gallon in those 15 min.

tmz
07/14/2010, 06:23 PM
When you dose it will drop orp a little and may drop ph a small bit too particularly with vinegar. So dosing during photosynthetic periods may be a good bet.

SDguy
07/15/2010, 09:25 PM
OK, sounds good. I'll go with the aqualifter during daylight hours.

tmz
07/15/2010, 11:19 PM
You attach airline tubing to the input end and another length to the output end,. On the output tube you add a plastic airline valve to adjust the flow rate. A measuring cup,a timer and some math should get you close to a dosing level you want.