PDA

View Full Version : What are people using to test?

lolgranny
07/14/2010, 01:48 PM
I was wondering what people are using to test there reef tanks with?

PO4
Nitrates
Nitrites
PH
ALK
Calcium
Magnesium
Specific Gravity

I have test kits, but they are generic ones(not the test strips) My tanks doing well, but it can always do better!:lol:

Thanks for ANY info guys!
David-

EaZy DuZ iT
07/14/2010, 02:12 PM
To be honest, ill bump this thread for you. Only testing I know off is the strips and the one that most LFS do, which are the test kits.

lolgranny
07/14/2010, 03:35 PM
Strips are no bueno brothaman. The LFS's typically dont know what they are talking about. Use the liquid test kits if anything, im just looking for the best route to take when going about it.

Thanks for the bump!
David

DeathWish302
07/14/2010, 06:15 PM
PO4 - ELOS, but truly a meter or the DD kit is best.
Nitrates - ELOS
Nitrites - API
PH - API
ALK - API
Calcium - ELOS
Magnesium- Salifert
Specific Gravity - Sybon Refractometer

lolgranny
07/18/2010, 08:38 PM
PO4 - ELOS, but truly a meter or the DD kit is best.
Nitrates - ELOS
Nitrites - API
PH - API
ALK - API
Calcium - ELOS
Magnesium- Salifert
Specific Gravity - Sybon Refractometer

Excellent to know. Thanks.

Mmckibben
07/18/2010, 08:48 PM
I have a phosphate reactor, so i almost never test for phosphate. I mainly test with API. I use their CA, ALK, nitrite, nitrate, amonia. For ph i have a meter, magnesium i use salifert. I'm going to get a Neptune Systems AquaController Jr, that has an ORP monitor.

I don't test things that often accept for ca and alk since i have a refugium, protein skimmer, and phosphate reactor. I do alk and ca test once a week, but the rest i test every 2 or 3 weeks.

DeathWish302
07/19/2010, 01:17 PM
II don't test things that often accept for ca and alk since i have a refugium, protein skimmer, and phosphate reactor. I do alk and ca test once a week, but the rest i test every 2 or 3 weeks.

Why would this deter your testing? Regardless if you have any of these devices or not, you should test for these parameters.

That being said, I don't test anything more than once every 2 weeks (if at all). Once you get a feel for your system, testing is just a 'feel good' check. You'll eventually gain the feel of your system by the reaction of your inhabitants.

rezaktp
07/19/2010, 01:36 PM
API & Salifert

DustinB
07/19/2010, 02:51 PM
I use the following:

PO4 = API
Nitrates = API/Salifert
Nitrites = API
PH = API
ALK = API
Calcium = API
Magnesium = N/A
Specific Gravity = Marine Depot Refractometer calibrated with 35ppt fluid
I usually use a hydrometer by adjusting for error. They are inaccurate, but consistently inaccurate.

I am starting to use the salifert nitrate test to be more accurate at the low range now that I am starting to dose vodka.

Once my coral population is consuming more than water changes can replenish, I will start using salifert or elos kh and calcium tests. Mainly due to low range accuracy. ie: detecting smaller differences. API tests are perfectly accurate if used properly, and way cheaper too!

Topbloke72
07/19/2010, 03:01 PM
I use Elos after having a bad experience with Salifert a few years back.

lolgranny
07/19/2010, 05:37 PM
Awesome, this is good to know!
Thanks for the imput so far guys

-Dave

361 m sq km
07/20/2010, 01:08 AM
I use:

NO3 LaMotte (API as back-up/check)
PO4 Hanna Photometer
CA Aquaraise
MG Aquaraise
KH LaMotte (Aquaraise as back-up/checker)
K Korallen Zucht
pH RR Monitor (Aquaraise as back-up/checker)
Temp Pinpoint Wireless and RR Monitor

Have seen many problems with Salifert, particularly the KH test kits. I would love to have a photometer for CA and MG, but not sure whether Hanna has came out with the cheaper Checker yet.
Hope this helps.

Nanz
07/21/2010, 12:17 PM
NO3 Laboratory (API as backup)
PO4 Laboratory
CA ELOS
MG ELOS (1000x better than Salifert IMO)
KH LaMotte (API as backup, Lamotte is the best for ALK)
K ICP Laboratory
Sr ICP Laboratory
pH ReefKeeper Probe (API as Backup)
Temp ReefKeeper Probe

><((((o>
07/22/2010, 08:50 PM
I only use my ammonia alert meter, thermometer and salanity meter, i'm kinda a noob here.

lolgranny
07/24/2010, 08:39 PM
I only use my ammonia alert meter, thermometer and salanity meter, i'm kinda a noob here.

Haha thats why i wanted to see what people used. Im with you buddy

Ynotme4886
07/25/2010, 07:57 AM
I use Salifert for Alk Mag Nitrate and Calcium. Use the controller to monitor ph temp and orp and also have a handheld so I can check the calibration on the ph and temp probes.

muttley000
07/25/2010, 09:14 AM
PO4 API
Nitrates API
Nitrites API
PH API
ALK API
Calcium Salifert
Magnesium Salifert
Specific Gravity Refractometer

wickedfish
07/25/2010, 04:55 PM
salifert for strot/cal
api for trates trites
phospahte api and the fish box one
iodine salifert
ph fish on box one and a lab grade ph meter with Apex
APi for the rest

DanMgy
07/25/2010, 05:43 PM
I asked this question earlier and the biggest response I got is that most people seem to like and use API

lolgranny
07/27/2010, 02:43 PM
I asked this question earlier and the biggest response I got is that most people seem to like and use API

Ya, same here. Thanks ma man. Appreciate all the imput guys.

DustinB
07/27/2010, 02:47 PM
They are good tests for the average user. If you need to be accurate at lower numbers for some type of dosing, you will want to go with salifert or some other brand that has a lower range scale.