PDA

View Full Version : Small Light for Chaeto?

tobehumanis
07/14/2010, 03:04 PM
I'm new to the hobby and am trying to figure out what light set up I should use solely for chaeto in a refugium set up on a biocube 14. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

jflick345
07/14/2010, 03:46 PM
[welcome]

I actually just use a 16w compact fluorescent flood light bulb with a color temperature of 5000K, and it works great. I went to Home Depot and picked it up along with one of those clamp-on lamps and have it hanging above the sump

fender4string
07/14/2010, 03:49 PM
I use the same setup though I think my bulb is more like 6500K and a little higher wattage. It's simple, cheap, and effective.

deReefde
07/14/2010, 04:37 PM
are you referring to turning your biocube into a refugium (at which point Id say go stock lighting or wswitch to a 10k and 6500 or two 10s/6500s. If you are talking about modding the biocube, I would recommend a 10w underwater LED or a 5w if heat is an issue (not much difference). If you converted the Whole middle section to a fuge, I would use either a small White moonlight LED setup or with a little work, and not much money, you can get some scrap acrylic thats mirrored and make a real small reflector tossing current light from the bulbs into the middle back section. It worked good on my friends tank and only took me 20min to make.

Palting
07/14/2010, 04:40 PM
I'm new to the hobby and am trying to figure out what light set up I should use solely for chaeto in a refugium set up on a biocube 14. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you making the whole biocube a refugium? It comes with it's own PC lights, all ncely self contained. I'd like to know how you plan to plumb that thing, and what your DT is.

tobehumanis
07/14/2010, 04:42 PM
I was just planning on modding the biocube and using the middle section as the fuge. I'm definitely going to look into making the reflector. Thanks for the responses.

tobehumanis
07/19/2010, 12:14 PM
Just to keep everyone updated. I ended up going to radio shack and buying a project box, 13w 6500k fluorescent (spiral one) and rigged it up with some velcro and an old bare light socket fixture I had kicking around. I'll let everyone know how the chaeto grows.