PDA

View Full Version : LPS Grown Pattern

vaporlockv2
07/15/2010, 01:08 AM
I have an Alien Eye Favia. It is my absolute favorite. But it doesn't really seem to grow. All my parameters are great and all my other LPS and SPS grow great. So do these grow on rock kinda like an encrusting coral or do they make their own skeleton. Can someone explain to me how this type of coral grows and how it forms its skeleton.

fizbin84
07/15/2010, 11:17 AM
Most every coral we keep in our tanks comes from rocky locations on the reef. The sand bed ii not well enough lit and the motion of the sand is irritating to coral flesh. To be most "natural" corals should be allowed to grow on rock. Also keep in mind that many corals are not from the same are. Just because 90% of your corals are happy and growing does not mean that it is the ideal conditions for all of them.

footballdude2k3
07/15/2010, 11:31 AM
what fiz said plus favias are usually pretty slow growing

vaporlockv2
07/15/2010, 11:23 PM
Right I don't mind that it's a slow grower. I was more wondering what type of growth does it do? Does it encrust like let's say a rainbow monti or does it form it's own skeleton. I have it glued to a large plug but I am systematically removing my plugs and gluing corals to rock. I wondering what would be the best way to give the little guy a "permanent" place. Do I need to make room for him to encrust or do they grow their own skeleton?

footballdude2k3
07/15/2010, 11:47 PM
all favias that i have seen build a skeleton and grow into a ballish shape